What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDF Expert

Teqmter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use PDF Expert app on my iPad Pro to hold all my pdf’s. And I use Pages app to save text by Copy and Pasting. My problem is when I try to reopen the Pages file again, it always opens in PDF Expert. How do I fix this problem of Pages files opening in PDF Expert? Thanks teqmter

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you open a file from within the PDF Expert app, it's going to preview it rather than open it in its original app. This is true of any non-PDF file. I am not aware of any way to force PDF Expert to open an file in its native app by default.

You can go to the Share Sheet and choose the app to open the file with. Probably the easiest way to do this is to tap the ... icon below (thumbnail view) or next to (list view) the file and choose Share, then select the app from the second row of icons. If it does not show up there, choose More from the end of the row.

Alternately you can just open the file directly while in Pages, or use the Files app.

Note: I actually use Documents by Readdle, not PDF Expert by Readdle, but they are pretty much the same in this regard.

OP
T

Teqmter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will copy and past the articuel I want to save to a pages file in the folder i save it in. When I go back to that folder I saved it in, try to open that saved file (pages) it opens in PDF Expert. I am not opening the pages file with PDF Expert. I wish iOS had “Open with” like a Mac. Thanks funnnyfarm

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I played around a bit, and yes, if you store a file inside the local or iCloud folders for Documents the file will open in Documents by default. I expect PDF Reader is the same, since Documents is just the big brother of PDF Expert.

Two options, you can use the Share Sheet as discussed to force a file to open in Pages, or you can store the Pages files somewhere other than in the main PDF Express folder.

The two most obvious options are to store your page files in the Pages directory (or sub directory), or to create a new folder in the Files app and store them there. You can still get to those files through PDF Expert if you want to. Just use the Files option instead of the PDF Expert option when selecting connections in the left column.

Or don't use PDF Expert to handle Pages documents at all. I'm not sure why are are doing so to begin with.

I'm also unsure why you are saving articles to Pages. It's not a very good app for archiving, read later, or research. What it is good at is creating documents, either to print or export into PDF files. I have a few workflows that use Pages and Documents (PDF Expert), but I keep the original Pages files and the PDF files separate. On the rare occasion I have a Pages file in the Documents folder, I tend to open it directly in Pages when working on it, so I've never encountered the issue you are having.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts