What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pasting across columns in Numbers

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know is you can paste text across columns somehow in Numbers like you can in Excel? Every time I try Numbers pastes everything in a single column.

Thanks!

Hal

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you mean copy the contents of one cell and then paste it to multiple cells horizontally?
Tap once to select the cell. Tap again to get the pop up menu. If you do this too close together, like double click speed, you'll get the cell editor instead of the menu. Choose copy.

Now tap on the first cell you want the data copied to. Drag the handles to include the cells you want. This can be horizontally, verticaly, or both. Tap the selection, then choose Paste from the pop-up menu.

You can also get the menu by Tap, Tap-hold (at double click speed), but if you release your hold too soon you'll get the cell editor. You have to hold for about a second after the menu pops up, or slide you finger off the cell to avoid that.

Now, if you were trying to get text in a single sell to extend through multiple cells, select the cell, select the info icon, Cells, and turn off Wrap Text in Cell.

When you do this the text will extend over any empty cells to the right of it. If those cells have contents, or are selected, the text will not cover them

Another way Excel does this is by joining cells. As far as I can tell (and I searched the help page) Numbers does not have this option.

If you just wanted to create a multi-cell lable in the middle of the spreadsheet, you could use a shape. I found that the square shape snaps to the cells fairly well (most of the time), and you can change it's color and the text in it.

Thank you for another excuse to play arround with Numbers, just to see what I can do. I enjoy playing arround with it, but because I don't have any real use cases for myself, I don't ask myself any good questions.

Last edited:
OP
Hal05154

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, what I am trying to do is when you copy columns and rows of text, and paste it into excel, and those columns and rows of text you copied actually paste into individual cells.

Sort of like when you import a csv text sheet.

Does that make sense?

Hal

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, at this point I'm almost certain I don't understand.

It sound like you want to select a row of text, and copy it to another row. But that is almost exactly like copying one cell to multiple cells. All you do is select the all the cells, copy, select the first cell in the target row or column, and paste.

The only other thing I can think of is that you want to copy the entire row or column. To do that you tap on the spreadsheet to select it. A vertical and horizontal bar will appear at the top and left of the spreadsheet. Tap once on the bar opposite of the column or row you want, and it will be highlighted.

Tap on bar again, the highlighted part, and you'll get the copy, paste, delete, etc menu. Tap on the bar next to the row or column 'below' where you want to insert the data and choose paste. There does not seem to be an overwrite option, so you'll end up end up having to delete any row or column you wanted to replace.

You can also drag rows and columns to re-arrange them this way.

And after that description, I'm still pretty sure I haven't told you what you want.

jofeag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im having a similar problem if i copy a table from safari, numbers on ipad pastes all the info into a single cell but number on macbook place the info on different cells as in the original table on safari

Most reactions

Latest posts