What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Password protecting a folder

Bullynj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to password protect folders on my iPad that I've separated apps into.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No.

There are only two types of protection available. One is the unlock code you can apply to the entire iPad. The other is the Restriction settings you can find under the General Settings. Neither will let you password lock individual apps or folders.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to password protect folders on my iPad that I've separated apps into.

Is your intention here simply to prevent the accidental deletion of the apps that are in that folder? If so, you can do this - 'Settings', 'General', 'Restrictions', and then you can disable access to 'Safari', 'YouTube', 'iTunes', disable the removal or installation of apps etc. You will be prompted to enter a passcode then, which you'll need to remember (!), before you can remove any apps.

If your intention is simply to restrict access to certain apps because, for example, they would allow access to confidential information, then I don't think there is a way.

Tim
Scotland

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Probably the OP is like me in that he has some apps that people don't need to be able to access but those apps don't come with password options such as notepad.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
peled said:
"good reader" has it.

A lot of individual apps have password protection. But the OP was probably wanting a folder to be able to stick a bunch of apps into that other people wouldn't be able to get into. I have a young grand daughter and I let her tap away but she could easily open this and inadvertently delete that so it would be great to block some stuff from her tiny little hands...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my earlier post, you can certainly set a passcode that will prevent 'little fingers' from deleting apps, as well as restrict access to Safari (so they don't accidentally come across inappropriate content) and set restrictions on the videos they can play (so they don't play videos with explicit content) and so on.

Tim
Scotland

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
As I mentioned in my earlier post, you can certainly set a passcode that will prevent 'little fingers' from deleting apps, as well as restrict access to Safari (so they don't accidentally come across inappropriate content) and set restrictions on the videos they can play (so they don't play videos with explicit content) and so on.

Tim
Scotland

You're missing it for me Tim. I know I can do some booby traps, blah blah blah... But you tell me how to stop someone from opening photos, and deleting some!

Point is, there may be other apps out there that the data can be deleted inadvertently. So that's why a protected folder would be cool.

But whatever.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thought you were worried about who could use apps, so didn't say anything. But if you are trying to protect media, sure, it's possible.

GoodReader will let you protect folders. It's a recent update. Peled pointed out that it doesn't keep the protection when the files are copied back to the computer, but if all you want is to make sure they stay on the iPad. That should work.

Then, to make sure no one deletes GoodReader, go into the Restrictions settings and enable the prevent deletion options.

Then no one can delete apps, including GoodReader without the passcode to turn off Restrictions. And your files are safely protected by GoodReader itself. Since most file types can be viewed in GoodReader you can leave them there.

There are some other protected app out there that will password protect videos, photos, and such. Not familiar with them though, so you'll have to search for them yourself.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - sorry about the misunderstanding. Hope that twerppoet's suggestion is what you are looking for.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions