What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passcode option greyed out

padnewbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set up a simple passcode when I set up my IPad and it's been fine, I don't mind having it - but I started using the IPad as my alarm clock and it's a PITA to have to put in the passcode to silence the alarm at 4:30 in the morning.

Anyway, I went in to turn it off and that function is greyed out. I can change the passcode but not turn it off. Some of the other features are greyed out too (i.e., Simple Passcode and Erase Data - which I really don't want turned on).

I saw Tim's suggestion in another post to disable the restrictions and I did have some on. So I disabled all restrictions and that didn't change anything. I'm stuck and really hope someone can help (without telling me to reset the IPad - that seems crazy that it would be the solution.)

Thanks in advance!!! :)
Vicki

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - this should work. I think you're saying you've tried this but, just to be sure....

First of all, to turn off or change settings for the passcode lock feature on your iPad you must know your passcode. If you have forgotten your iPad passcode you're out of luck.

To turn off passcode lock:

1. Navigate to Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock

2. Enter your passcode.

3. Touch the top button labeled Turn Passcode Off.

4. Enter your passcode again.

The passcode is now deactivated and will not be required to access your iPad.

If this doesn't work, power the iPad off completely by pressing and holding the Power switch until the slider control appears, then accept the offer to completely power down. When the screen is completely blank, press Power again to power up.

See if the problem persists. Let us know if it does and we'll try some other things....

Tim

OP
P

padnewbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,
That's just it - I don't have the option to turn the Passcode Off - it's greyed out. I can change it, but that's it.

I tried powering all the way off and back on and the feature is still greyed out. :(

Thanks for your help!!

Vicki

Basile881

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here in ios6

Same problem. Option grey out. Force you to so it.

Most reactions

Latest posts