What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

painfully dumb question - 3g v tethering

eddieras

iPF Noob
Reaction score
any advantage to use the ATT 3g radio in my ipad2 vs tethering it via my Sprint Nexus S?? i know it'll cost me $30 but the tethering is pretty slow- am i correct in assuming it would be no difference with the ATT 3g?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Advantages of 3G iPad;
No phone to rely on.
Don't have to worry about phone battery.
Don't have to juggle 2 devices.

Advantages of tethering;
Umm.....
Cheaper iPad.
That's about it.

I tether to my phone on Verizon and it eats my phone battery REALLY fast so all I can do is like check email.
Wish I had 3G..... :(
Next iPad will be 3g. Hopefully 4g.

OP
E

eddieras

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks- i have the 3g ipad already- was particularly wondering about the speed of surfing - would there be any speed advantage with ipad 3g vs tethering?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marginal. The only real speed advantage would be if your phone carrier's service was faster or slower than your iPad carrier's service, assuming they would be different. Other than that, you shouldn't notice too much of a speed advantage / disadvantage...

Most reactions

Latest posts