What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pages app and problems printing

Famof5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Hope this is the right place for my question.. I have Pages and Print Central and happily printed away for weeks. Then I updates the iPad op system and had a print central update and now I can't print any Pages Documents. I do have Print Central open and I can print other things (I.e. Off the web, from email etc.) what am I doing wrong? I NEED TO PRINT :)

Help :D

Thanks
Kim

Reaction score
Apple is to blame. They have changed their AirPrint guidelines and to comply with them, the PrintCentral developers had to remove the AirPrint support, meaning that apps, such as Pages can no longer print via PrintCentral to your printer.

OP
F

Famof5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No no no. Say it isnt so........what are my options? I can't afford a new printer....plus the one I have is brand new. Am I out of luck?

Reaction score
Assuming you have not backed up an older PrintCentral version, you can still buy another app: Print'n'Share. It hasn't been updated since January, so the AirPrinting still works from apps such as Pages.

If you choose to buy this app, you should backup the .ipa file somewhere, so that you can restore it, in case you accidentally update the app.

I realize that this is not an ideal situation, to pay for basically the same app twice, just because Apple decided to change their guidelines, but if you want to print directly this is the only option I know.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

KatieL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Print central

I have not yet updated my printcentral from version allowing airprint, it is just sitting there waiting to be updated, I haven't as I knew of this problem. I did do some updates of other apps ( while not connected to iTunes) none of them where in the apple suite of apps, up until that update of unrelated apps it was printing fine, I do believe apple has slyly slipped in code when other updates where done.

As replacement I would recommend printopia as it appears they set up pseudo printers on network that are air print compatible and convert to what ever you are using. Best of all it lives on your computer and is not purchased through iTunes store, but there website. It is rough they used an illegal appi or whatever it's called and webhave to pay the price.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Printopia is what I ended up using. My main computer is on most of the time anyway (don't tell GreenPeace), so it works well for me.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There were no changes to guidelines, AirPrint or otherwise. PrintCentral used an unpublished API to get background printing to work. Apple has long enforced it's policy by removing these apps, no matter how long ago they slipped through the system.

Here is a fairly informative article about it, including how EuroSmartz feels about the situation.

PrintBureau update removes background printing from other apps | Printers | iOS Central | Macworld

Thanks for that link - it's good to know the 'official' reason. I guess there are a load of guys like me who are now never going to update their PrintCentral. Thank goodness I read the Developer's description of what was changed in the new update and didn't just hit the 'Update all' button...which is another button I guess I'll never be using again..

Sounds like Eurosmartz were 'leant on' by Apple and have been 'gritting their teeth' by saying they quite understood. As you said in one of your earlier posts - the Apple App Police strike again...

Tim

KatieL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Printcentral

Hi Tim I think in the end you'll get caught whether it be an update of pages, the fact mine no longer works with AirPrint button and I did not update shows me they have ways of disabling it somehow, I would be scared to update any app. As I'm sure that's how mine got disabled without updating. It sucks but at least these apps aren't in the big $$$ range. I'd milk it as long as I can if I was you but don't be surpassed one day if it looses functionality. Best of luck :eek:)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just figured they were unhappy, but being mature about it. You make a mistake, you deal with it. A refreshing change from the usual blame fest.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim I think in the end you'll get caught whether it be an update of pages, the fact mine no longer works with AirPrint button and I did not update shows me they have ways of disabling it somehow, I would be scared to update any app. As I'm sure that's how mine got disabled without updating. It sucks but at least these apps aren't in the big $$$ range. I'd milk it as long as I can if I was you but don't be surpassed one day if it looses functionality. Best of luck :eek:)

Before you give up hope completely, just try this. Double tap the Home button to open the multi-task bar and find PrintCentral. Open the program. Then double tap the Home button again and return to, say, Pages. Now try to print.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts