What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

printing from ipad

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im using print central app....working great so far, I was able to enter my aol email address and its got my emails in the actual email folder within he app....I tried to enter my wifes yahoo one (classic yahoo) its being weird...spinning thing at top left keeps spinning acting like its trying to do something but nothing, not loading her emails...anyone else had this problem? Another thing in this app....to print and webpage u go to the top of address bar and infront of http u put a "z" then enter that hen openings that page in the print central app so u can print, after u print u go back to safari but if u then wanna go back to print central to check your email, the web page u last printed is up there! How can u be rid of web page to get the email/setting screen within print central app without hitting the home button then opening the app back up?

Thanks!

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I delete her yahoo account and try again...I click on classic yahoo and a pop up comes up and says "this account type may need a application upgrade if the email server format changes" what the heck does that mean!?!?!

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
got it....had to log into wifes email, then options and switch her email to classic view!! printing like a fool now!

Bertlasagna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I'm new at this and I'm trying to set up wireless printing from the Ipad. I have a Canon mg5220 and it will print from the ipad only when in the 'print n share' app. How can I tell this thing to print anything I need when it says it can't find the printer? How do I make it recognize the printer for Safari or other apps running? Would like to know before I get too upset to use it.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, I'm new at this and I'm trying to set up wireless printing from the Ipad. I have a Canon mg5220 and it will print from the ipad only when in the 'print n share' app. How can I tell this thing to print anything I need when it says it can't find the printer? How do I make it recognize the printer for Safari or other apps running? Would like to know before I get too upset to use it.

I do not believe that model is AirPrint compatible, that is why it cannot see your printer. You have 4 options:
1. Keep printing via the Print n Share app;
2. See if there is a Canon app that will do similar;
3. Get an AirPrint enabler software for your PC or Mac;
4. Buy an Airprint enabled printer.

kimayharden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1 conncet your airprint and ipad to the some wifi network
2 you can print from Safari (web browser ) and mail app a lot of other apps

that's it

Bertlasagna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a canon mg5220, basically one that is not listed on the Ipad in Iprint, which makes me wonder if the Ipad is somehow reading what printer you have and then not listing it as compatibale. Anyway, I've downloaded 2 different apps and one will print a test page but there is nowhere on the Ipad the change printers. When I tell it to print a page, a note, or something, the "cannot find printer' shows up. I would think that there would be a way to change printers in the general setting but there isnt. The free 'Canon' app only prints photos and that is not what I need it for. Printing photos uses the heck out of the ink and I would even suggest that is why the canon app only prints photos. Of course Apple + HP is no problem but I don't have an HP printer. What kind of printer do you have?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a canon mg5220, basically one that is not listed on the Ipad in Iprint, which makes me wonder if the Ipad is somehow reading what printer you have and then not listing it as compatibale. Anyway, I've downloaded 2 different apps and one will print a test page but there is nowhere on the Ipad the change printers. When I tell it to print a page, a note, or something, the "cannot find printer' shows up. I would think that there would be a way to change printers in the general setting but there isnt. The free 'Canon' app only prints photos and that is not what I need it for. Printing photos uses the heck out of the ink and I would even suggest that is why the canon app only prints photos. Of course Apple + HP is no problem but I don't have an HP printer. What kind of printer do you have?

I just check the official list, and the MG5220 is not AirPrint compatible, hence why it does not show up as a printer on your iPad. If you read my earlier post, you can see what your options are. At this point, do you also have a PC on the same network as the printer? If so, check out the software options for "sharing" the MG5220 so it does appear as an Printer on your iPad. There are other threads that cover this, and others can offer both PC and Mac options.

Bertlasagna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kimayharden, I've tried that, however, the Ipad shows the correct IP and MAC addresses but just won't print except from the Canon App that will only print photos. The Ipad is aggravating and I've worked with computers since 1965, therefore, it should be a breeze for me. The exception is: incompatibility of OS's. Dewhenson777, I've been retired due to Post Polio Syndrome since 1996 and money has become an issue just as physically getting up and down to look up things on my wife's desktop, something I've updated every two years for sometime now and just can go out and purchase a HP printer. Can't find the Iprint App in the Itunes APP store, It's going to take me some time to get use to it as it was a gift from my #2 son because he's known about my inability to get up and down so many times. I would think that Canon would have an app that would print docs, etc from the Ipad and Apple would be considerate enough to have written into their 'general settings OS' a 'Choose Printer' line. I do not want to unlock mine or my wife's personal computer, MS 7x64 OS allowing the Wi-Fi to invade them in order to, on occasion, print one or two docs or emails. Thanks for all the help, you folks are great and quick to respond. Also, I've had print sharing setup with my wife's computer on a hardwired network, something I did about 8 years ago and two printers have sharing is enabled, although hers is an older Canon without Wi-Fi. The Ipad sees my printer but just won't print! I'll look again for the Iprint App and see what I can do today. When I solve the problem, I will let you two know. It seems almost like the Ipad found the printer right away but something is in the Ipad code to 'not see' the Wi-Fi printer one has. Strange! Have a nice weekend.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kimayharden, I've tried that, however, the Ipad shows the correct IP and MAC addresses but just won't print except from the Canon App that will only print photos. The Ipad is aggravating and I've worked with computers since 1965, therefore, it should be a breeze for me. The exception is: incompatibility of OS's. Dewhenson777, I've been retired due to Post Polio Syndrome since 1996 and money has become an issue just as physically getting up and down to look up things on my wife's desktop, something I've updated every two years for sometime now and just can go out and purchase a HP printer. Can't find the Iprint App in the Itunes APP store, It's going to take me some time to get use to it as it was a gift from my #2 son because he's known about my inability to get up and down so many times. I would think that Canon would have an app that would print docs, etc from the Ipad and Apple would be considerate enough to have written into their 'general settings OS' a 'Choose Printer' line. I do not want to unlock mine or my wife's personal computer, MS 7x64 OS allowing the Wi-Fi to invade them in order to, on occasion, print one or two docs or emails. Thanks for all the help, you folks are great and quick to respond. Also, I've had print sharing setup with my wife's computer on a hardwired network, something I did about 8 years ago and two printers have sharing is enabled, although hers is an older Canon without Wi-Fi. The Ipad sees my printer but just won't print! I'll look again for the Iprint App and see what I can do today. When I solve the problem, I will let you two know. It seems almost like the Ipad found the printer right away but something is in the Ipad code to 'not see' the Wi-Fi printer one has. Strange! Have a nice weekend.

Not sure what you mean by iPrint app. Is this something that has been recommended? Epson's printer app is called Epson iPrint, but it will not work with a Canon printer.

No printer will be "seen" by the iPad unless it is an AirPrint enabled printer, which we have already confirmed it is not. For any non AirPrint printer, you will need to run a third party app like Print N Share to provide the interface required, but as you mentioned, you cannot print directly from any printable app, you have to send the data via the Print n Share app to do it.

Most reactions