What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overlooked feature of the new iPad

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
One of the new features in the new iPad is that is is using Bluetooth 4.0. This means that bluetooth should no longer be a big battery drainer if you like to use bluetooth or leave bluetooth enabled.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is good to know. What else does BT 4.0 give us?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But the new Bluetooth can do so much more than connect a clunky earpiece. Bluetooth 4.0 isn't just a little better than the version currently built into most mobile devices. It's massively better.Bluetooth 4.0 has an extremely low-energy feature, which means supporting gadgets can run off wristwatch batteries, or hold charges for years, rather than weeks. For example, Bluetooth 4.0 enables wireless headsets that last weeks between charges. And it means that headsets can be a fraction of the size.
Wireless iPad keyboards don't have to be charged at all for the life of the iPad, thanks to Bluetooth 4.0.
Another magic trick Bluetooth 4.0 performs is that it allows pairing and data exchange without user involvement. If the user has granted permission in advance, two Bluetooth 4.0 devices can connect and sync data without even informing the user, just by being in range.
Bluetooth 4.0 also, ironically, even simplifies the connection of Wi-Fi devices. Right now, adding a Wi-Fi gadget often requires users to hand-enter configuration information. To oversimplify, Bluetooth 4.0 enables new Wi-Fi devices to get configuration information automatically; instead of asking the user, Bluetooth 4.0 enables devices to communicate configuration information with each other. The only user involvement required is permission.

I posted this earlier, but it fell victim of the problem of people starting new threads instead of looking for existing threads. Not to be blaming any particular person. But we have 15 threads about people disappointed/underwhelmed, etc. about the new iPad. Five about the iPad getting warm, and several about backlight bleeding. What was great is seeing two threads about it being used as a hotspot...in a row. It goes with the introduction of a new product, but it can make things difficult to find information.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for going to the trouble to post it one more time. This is a major benefit, IMO, to the new iPad. I think iPhone 4S support BT 4.0, too.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not understanding the significance of this. In what ways would I use this? I'm not going to link my Bluetooth phone doohickey up to my iPad, am I?

Edited to change iPhone to iPad.

Last edited:
OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not understanding the significance of this. In what ways would I use this? I'm not going to link my Bluetooth phone doohickey up to my iPad, am I?

Edited to change iPhone to iPad.

some people use bluetooth keyboards.
There are bluetooth stereo headphones that would be great on trips and airplane flights.
I use my iPads bluetooth in my car to play all audio through the car stereo.

Normaly I go into settings every time i get in my car or leave my car to turn bluetooth on/off so that the battery doesn't get drained by bluetooth when I'm not even using it. I may just leave it on now and see if it has little impact on the battery.

iRaptor25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds great, but is this something you have to have on both devices to get or will the bluetooth keyboard I already have benefit?

edit: geez the specification on my tablet keyboard that was released less than a year ago list bluetooth 1.2... that must be a decade old. Well the keyboard lasts months anyway so its not a big concern either way. Will look into this if I get a headset or anything though.

Last edited:

Crphillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad and iPhone Bluetooth up to my car stereo but to be honest the sound quality is far better when plugged in. Hence I plug it in. Also my head unit controls my I devices when plugged in... When i use Bluetooth I can't search by album, artist, playlist, song...etc.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a lot more features to the new bluetooth, but it is so new, that manufacturers have not been able to get products out to take advantage of it. Much like many of the technologies that have a huge impact, it will take time for the devices to follow. Thunderbolt is starting to be supported by the vendors, but look how long it took since Apple introduced it. One of the things that may happen, is that a new method of connecting to printers and other devices which makes connections fast, easy, and more useful. Think of walking in a room and connecting to a device in the room without needing to do anything. As long as both devices are 4.0 and are within a permission parameter. You might go to another office within your company and instantly be able to use various devices because your computer/iPad is approved. Even if it is across the country.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Normaly I go into settings every time i get in my car or leave my car to turn bluetooth on/off so that the battery doesn't get drained by bluetooth when I'm not even using it. I may just leave it on now and see if it has little impact on the battery.

Would be curious about what you find.

I've left BT on by accident on my iPod touch for days at times and haven't noticed unusual battery draining, but I'm interested in the potential of BT improvements.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
smithgt said:
So would I be able to link to BT GPS receiver to my iPad 3 that is currelty WiFi only?

I don't see why not.....I did this all the time on my iPad 2. Don't think anything defeats that feature, things just get better in terms of power use. Since I got the 4g model I don't need to do this now, though I may still use it.

Most reactions