What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OS Update Notification

Swink2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way I can receive notifications from Apple (via email or notification on the iPad) of when they have OS updates for the iPad2?

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are notified of pending updates when you sync with iTunes.

GNishida

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad for my Mom who is 95 and has trouble using a mouse but is able to use the touch screen. She does not have a laptop or computer that she can use to sync with iTunes, and whenever a new OS update becomes available, she is unable to send or recieve email unless the OS is installed (she has to go to the local iStore to sync with iTunes). Is there any way that she can be notified without syncing with iTunes that an OS upgrade is available?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the release of ios5 you are able to update the iPad without iTunes "over the air". When connected to wifi, go to Settings > General > Software Update. From there you can initiate the update if one is available. A notification will also be shown on the device if a new update is available.

Most reactions

Latest posts