What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Optimized Handbrake Presets to Encode Video for Your New iPad or iPhone 4

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have only done one movie (so far!) with Handbrake and used the mp4 hi-res option and it worked great! I know you're dying to know.... it was "Hunt for Red October"

Captain Marco Ramius (Sean Connery) to Jack Ryan (Alec Baldwin):
"Hey Ryan, be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react to well to bullets!"

T

TJK

As I have posted elsewhere in these forums, I have used the PLIST files downloaded here for great results on iPad:
How to Create iPad Formatted Videos Using HandBrake or FFMpeg

I have encoded about 8 movies using the IPAD FULL file.
Finished movies are about 1.5GB +/- depending on movie length.

Don't worry about the 4:3 formatting notes. Widescreen movies play with banding top and bottom just like the source DVD.

Last edited by a moderator:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have encoded about 8 movies using the IPAD FULL file.Finished movies are about 1.5GB +/- depending on movie length.
Sounds like the same format as hi-res. HFRO was 1.57gb and it is something like 135 minutes.

T

TJK

I have encoded about 8 movies using the IPAD FULL file.Finished movies are about 1.5GB +/- depending on movie length.
Sounds like the same format as hi-res. HFRO was 1.57gb and it is something like 135 minutes.

Could be. All I know is that I struggled to get results until I found that link and everything worked like a charm. FYI I don't use handbrake to rip, though. I use DVD Decrypter to rip and use Handbrake only for encoding.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FYI I don't use handbrake to rip, though. I use DVD Decrypter to rip and use Handbrake only for encoding.
Very important step! You can encode to mp4 directly from DVD... if you have a lot of time!

T

TJK

FYI I don't use handbrake to rip, though. I use DVD Decrypter to rip and use Handbrake only for encoding.
Very important step! You can encode to mp4 directly from DVD... if you have a lot of time!

Exactly. DVD Decrypter rips a DVD in about 10 minutes. So I rip the DVDs and then set up a batch process with Handbrake to encode overnight.

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I have posted elsewhere in these forums, I have used the PLIST files downloaded here for great results on iPad:
How to Create iPad Formatted Videos Using HandBrake or FFMpeg

I have encoded about 8 movies using the IPAD FULL file.
Finished movies are about 1.5GB +/- depending on movie length.

Don't worry about the 4:3 formatting notes. Widescreen movies play with banding top and bottom just like the source DVD.

Are you ripping straight from a DVD, or a Divx encoded AVI perhaps? Just curious.....

kensteele

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Exactly. DVD Decrypter rips a DVD in about 10 minutes. So I rip the DVDs and then set up a batch process with Handbrake to encode overnight.

Is this just for time or is there some other benefit?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have been using these Lifehacker presets in handbrake and they work well.

My brain is full and it's hard to stuff more info in ATM :(

Fotonutz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Y2K,

Txs for the links!

It's Great !!!!

As a result of your link, I ended up re-encoding some of my favorite videos again using the SD settings!

The quality is better than the Universal or iPod presets.
When I'm using the Universal or iPod settings at full resolution(1128 X 720 or whatever), I seem to get this interlaced lines that is visible on the iMac and iPad. But with the presets from your link, the quality is better as the lines are no longer visible.

Txs mate!

T

TJK

Is this just for time or is there some other benefit?

A couple of reasons:
Ripping with DVD Decrypter is fast and the resulting file is encoded quicker than going straight from DVD to encoded file in Handbrake.

This way I have the raw ripped file on my HD that can be encoded to different formats as needed such as for my HD in the living room.

The biggest reason is so I can run a batch process in Handbrake and encode a bunch of files overnight.

Working in this format the encode in Handbrake takes about 1 to 1-1/2 hrs per movie

kensteele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^thanks tjk, makes sense. i think i'm going to adopt this method as well. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts