What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

opinions on ebook sites

sukicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got my ipad 2 and am having problems finding sites to download books at the best cost to me...free. Came across a site called mypadmedia. Has anyone heard anything about this site (good or bad)?

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A brief Googling of the site came up with only two kinds of content. The people who were calling them a scam, or just scum, and the ones praising the site.

Notably all positive review sites had lots of anecdotes and explanations about how great it was, and a link to pay the fee and join. The first is typical of scam sites, the second a dead giveaway when you are reading a site that claims to be a review. At the most there should be a link to the site. And it should be subtle, not a big Buy Now! button.

Is that proof of less than honorable intentions? No, but I'd have to do a lot of research before I'd sign up with them, let alone give them my credit card number. Even supposedly free membership sites have been known to sneak some small text extra service (that charges) into that "Submit" button.

I use several of the free sites that The Alternative suggested. There is enough content there to keep you reading for a good while. And they really are free. Moreover they have proven, honest reputations.

imac9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
Here are a few free and totally legal websites with DRM free content. Be sure to download the ePub versions when available for your iPad. Enjoy!

For free ebooks, don't forget Gutenberg Australia. It has a lot of interesting books that aren't on the regular Gutenberg site.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ah, I'll be cautious then. I'm not looking for new books at the moment anyway. I've got a backlog.

I was thinking it was just some interesting Australian writers that got overlooked by the other sites.

Reaction score
MyPadMedia does not provide illegal access to ebooks. It is a scam though. They have been advertised on this forum before and the user got banned.

The site promotes a $50 flat rate to ebooks, which under current licensing is not possible. Anyhow, if you buy the flat rate, you will find yourself given access to a bunch of outdated and most importantly non-commercial ebooks. You pay to get access to ebooks, which are free anyway!

Most reactions

Latest posts