What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open and edit PowerPoint and PDFs on ipad

Reaction score
I am going to be a dental student and want to be able to open lectures, generally PowerPoint and PDFs and take notes on them. I want to make sure I can do this without having to go through email or my desktop because sometimes emails can't send large enough files. I have an app iAnnotate that I can edit PDFs but have not been able to figure out how to get power points sent and opened on the ipad without email or the use of a desktop or web storage. I am open to other apps as well.

Thank you for your help!

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can read ppt files with good reader, but you cant edit them. Use Docs2go , you can create ppt files there.

dwightgenius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to be a dental student and want to be able to open lectures, generally PowerPoint and PDFs and take notes on them. I want to make sure I can do this without having to go through email or my desktop because sometimes emails can't send large enough files. I have an app iAnnotate that I can edit PDFs but have not been able to figure out how to get power points sent and opened on the ipad without email or the use of a desktop or web storage. I am open to other apps as well.

Thank you for your help!

Actually, you can convert your PowerPoint files to PDF files using the free Office to PDF converter Moyea PPT to PDF Converter on PC, and then edit the output pdf files with your iAnnotate app.

HoffpauirDDS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so I am a 3rd year student @ UTDB. Here is my advise.
Direct answer to your question about PDF is that IBooks can import PDFS for viewing by using Dropbox, which I mention below. This allows you to do what you want for FREE. iBook turns them into books. Very handy. Below is a list of some of the programs that I ave found to be useful during dental school.
1)Powerpoints- Keynotes I have both Keynotes and Docstogo and I find that keynotes is by FAR the better product.
2)Note taking for class- Noteshelf (get a stylus) or if you prefer to use a BT keyboard get iDO-notepad. Moving files from home computer ect. Dropbox.
3)Drug Handbook- Lexicom- what ever you can afford. This app is awesome (I have the $199 version) it will save you a LOT of trouble looking up natrasuticals and pharm interactions when you are in Oral Sx.
4) Gross anatomy- Netter's Head and Neck can't be beat! Rohen's Anatomy is also very useful because it has actual pictures of the cadavers.
5) OHI instructions for Pt.s (patients) get Cavity Free 3D free and useful.
6) Pt education: DentALL, Orashere, Checkdent Pro, ToothIQ are all very good for different things.
7) Obscure disease names: Eponyms very useful!
8) Refresher for CPR: CPR-Chocking from AHA. Very useful for review.
9) Oral Sx: Sutures- shows how and when to do different sutures. Trust me this one is a life saver!
10) Spanish: Dental spanish- this program is very useful in the south where I am.

I hope that you find this to be useful!

Last edited:

tyoungs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there any additional thoughts for this thread? I sit through many presentations. Often the presenter is talking about how "green" or "sustainable his company is. Then he proceeds to hand out multiple copies of his Powerpoint presentation. I'd like to request that he submit the PPT presentation to me electronically prior to the meeting then I could follow it on my iPad. I'd also like to be able to take notes on this electronic version of the presentation. (I don't want to edit the presentation, just take notes on it just like if I had the presentation printed on paper in front of me.)

Any new apps out to address this or other possible novel approaches to this?

Thanks.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a reasonably current version of Office you can save PPT and PPTX files as PDFs without any extra software.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1)Powerpoints- Keynotes I have both Keynotes and Docstogo and I find that keynotes is by FAR the better product.

Keynote is the only iWork app I haven't purchased. How do you open PowerPoint documents in Keynote?

Most reactions