What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OnLive Desktop Brings Windows 7 and Microsoft Office to the iPad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I haven't looked into it yet, but Desktone and CloudOn are supposed to be offering similar products.

All three are in my "look into this" notes.

I've been keeping my eye out for cloud based office solutions that will work with the iPad.

mrsburney83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the app Friday night and was able to log in yesterday night. I had to wait for my account to be created on the back end. The interface is nice and to me is more touch and user friendly than CloudOn. What makes me continue to use CloudOn is the fact that you can't email documents from OnLive. You save and have to use your PC or Mac to email the document. Tome that defeats the purpose of it being offered and used on the IPad. I hope they make adjustments soon.

lee1965

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrsburney83 said:
I downloaded the app Friday night and was able to log in yesterday night. I had to wait for my account to be created on the back end. The interface is nice and to me is more touch and user friendly than CloudOn. What makes me continue to use CloudOn is the fact that you can't email documents from OnLive. You save and have to use your PC or Mac to email the document. Tome that defeats the purpose of it being offered and used on the IPad. I hope they make adjustments soon.

Half these arent avaoalble in australia yet, cant even see them on the app store...

Valkrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's really annoying is that I registered and told them I was in Spain. A few days later I get an email telling me I can download and use the app as I have been granted a free account, Great. No definitely not seems their allocation software ignores country of registration and so the app is only available to US users still. :(

The waiting continues.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Valkrider said:
What's really annoying is that I registered and told them I was in Spain. A few days later I get an email telling me I can download and use the app as I have been granted a free account, Great. No definitely not seems their allocation software ignores country of registration and so the app is only available to US users still. :(

The waiting continues.

Just follow the instructions how to make a US account, it works fine I'm in the UK and I downloaded onlive and cloudon

beavery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in Australia, but have an US account. I've downloaded and registered, but it says my Internet connection is too slow?! It is the fastest wireless connection I have available to me at 24000kbps what speed are they looking for?

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beavery said:
I live in Australia, but have an US account. I've downloaded and registered, but it says my Internet connection is too slow?! It is the fastest wireless connection I have available to me at 24000kbps what speed are they looking for?

Same here, ive been able to log in probably 3 times. Try cloudon it's a lot faster

HafMan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just made a US account and downloaded it and I'm quite impressed with it, although I find typing harder because the keyboard seems squashed together compared to apples. It would be perfect if you were using a Bluetooth keyboard.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WilleyWinter said:
Good Grief. That sounds good. I wonder how long we will have to wait "Down Under" in Australia

Willey:)

Try setting up an American iTunes store account - the app is available there. This goes for anyone in the world.

WilleyWinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gtatler said:
Try setting up an American iTunes store account - the app is available there. This goes for anyone in the world.

ok thanks I'll see how that goes

Willey:)

giron_natalie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded and liked it. Seriously its like a pc. But only problem if the app is for obviously an iPad, but I don't like not being able to print straight from the app on my iPad. I have a wireless printer so that's not the problem but I chatted with a customer service guy and he said it isn't possible YET. But doesn't know if it ever will since they are two different operating systems. I'm into using my iPad as my main computer. Don't want to have to go on my pc to download then either print or email. I hope they change that, just to email or/and print from app! But other than that Awesome app!

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The OnLive Desktop speed feels good... like the Office apps were running locally. Having all the normal laptop keys available on the virtual keyboard is also very good. It would be much better if you could upload docs from the iPad into the OnLive environment... that you cant do this a big deficiency in my opinion. I liked OnLive giving me the Windows 7 desktop look and feel, but would be better if it allowed me to save settings between sessions. I felt this OnLive desktop view is better than the CloudOn interface which felt a bit clunky. In both OnLive and CloudOn it was fantastic to have the full functionality of the Office apps compared with the cut down functionality available in current iPad Office-pretender apps.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Valkrider said:
What instructions where?

To open a US account you will need a US iTunes card which you can purchase on the net and as you only need the number on it, this can be emailed to you. You will need to create another email address, I suggest a gmail account. I have heard others have used an Apple store location for the address. Have a look here for more info:-
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534
Let's us know if you need more help.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
To open a US account you will need a US iTunes card which you can purchase on the net and as you only need the number on it, this can be emailed to you. You will need to create another email address, I suggest a gmail account. I have heard others have used an Apple store location for the address. Have a look here for more info:-
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534
Let's us know if you need more help.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

You can actually open up an account without using any payment type, you just choose none when you get to billing details. I followed a tutorial on this thread I believe and I downloaded both onlive and cloudon with no problems

Most reactions

Latest posts