What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Online Flash Videos and Youtube?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
The new Blackberry Playbook commercial takes care of stating Ipad and Xoom not playing Flash, though I think it's meant more to Apple than Android.
Flash will eventually go away, like leaded gasoline, but until then we have Puffin and iswifter to muddle along with.
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

I just think it's funny how on the commercials for it, the screen images are simulated. So it appears WAY faster than it really is! :)

Reaction score
Oh I never meant to state that the Playbook is any good . If it was it wouldn't have to poke at other tablets to make sales .
Anyway back on topic, sorry, I'm no fan of Flash but if I'm going to use my Ipad and still live in my world it is a necessary evil until PBS Kids, Zagg, Photobucket , my local bank, etc stop using it so I use Puffin
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the YouTube app render them to HTML on the Ipad? The Kid Mode app plays the videos fine, just doesn't convert the games to non Flash. My toddler daughter watches the videos, does art work reads books on my Ipad and phone but plays the games on my phone only since they are Flash inside the app .
Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I never meant to state that the Playbook is any good . If it was it wouldn't have to poke at other tablets to make sales .
Anyway back on topic, sorry, I'm no fan of Flash but if I'm going to use my Ipad and still live in my world it is a necessary evil until PBS Kids, Zagg, Photobucket , my local bank, etc stop using it so I use Puffin
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the YouTube app render them to HTML on the Ipad? The Kid Mode app plays the videos fine, just doesn't convert the games to non Flash. My toddler daughter watches the videos, does art work reads books on my Ipad and phone but plays the games on my phone only since they are Flash inside the app .
Support Our Troops!!

If I remember correctly, i think I saw some kind of ad this week for a PBS Kids video app that's now available.

Reaction score
Thanks. Checking on it now . She plays the games on PBS kids
They are not quite it but thank you, it's better than what I had by far. Her favorite game is word world pizza factory but it wasn't one I saw

Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the YouTube app render them to HTML on the Ipad?
Support Our Troops!!

It does as I stated earlier. Some people think it uses flash! :)

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the YouTube app render them to HTML on the Ipad?
Support Our Troops!!

It does as I stated earlier. Some people think it uses flash! :)

Ok. I took when you wrote website as meaning browser only. I was talking about the embedded app on the iPad, not the browser

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Ok. I took when you wrote website as meaning browser only. I was talking about the embedded app on the iPad, not the browser

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

Ok.......

I am sure it just streams the videos using whatever codec HTML 5 uses.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand that the ipad 2 does not support flash videos. But doesn't Youtube use flash videos? Does this mean that Youtube does not work on the ipad 2?

sheeeeesh....another thread about this?

You do know that iOS devices come pre-installed with a native YouTube app also?

Sorry, I'm new here. And no, I didn't know that. I don't have an ipad yet.

Anyway, my point is that if it can play flash videos on youtube, then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be able to play flash videos on other websites.
As mentioned the iPad does not play Flash videos natively. It has a YouTube app that plays YouTube videos which have been converted to HTML5 (a newer video format). Also as mentioned not all YouTube videos have been converted to HTML5 to date.

There are apps for the iPad that will allow you to play Flash videos as well. This is one of them:

iSWiFTER for iPad on the iTunes App Store

It's a bit kludgy and since it's actually converting Flash content on the fly and playing it from their servers the audio and picture quality aren't as good as the "original" Flash file (which has pretty lousy audio and video quality to start with), but it works.

There are dozens of other threads discussing Flash, etc. so do a search if you'd like to find out more.

I wouldn't let the Flash/no Flash argument stop you from getting an iPad. It's a minuscule element of the iPad's user experience which is generally awesome IMHO. FWIW I've been using my iPad for over a year now and I don't miss Flash at all. YMMV of course.

Most reactions

Latest posts