What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
November 8, 1895: While experimenting with electricity, Wilhelm Röntgen discovers the X-ray. (In German we call them "Röntgenstrahlen".)

image-1704880578.jpg

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Röntgen

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This was taking place in my country on November 11:

308: At Carnuntum, Emperor emeritus Diocletian confers with Galerius, Augustus of the East, and Maximianus, the recently returned former Augustus of the West, in an attempt to restore order to the Roman Empire.

2000: Kaprun disaster: 155 skiers and snowboarders die when a cable car catches fire in an alpine tunnel in Kaprun, Austria.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In 1930 Albert (yes the same Albert) and Leó Szilárd patented a refrigerator (this design was to become known as the Einstein refrigerator) that had no moving parts. They invented it after hearing of a family that was poisoned by a failed seal. The refrigerators of the day used a toxic gas and seal failure was something that occurred on a routine basis.

The patent was bought by Electrolux (still selling refrigerators) but they didn't make much off the patent as newer and less toxic chemicals were invented and used, making refrigerators much safer using the older design.

Today companies are starting to look at similar designs to the Einstein refrigerator as environmentally friendly units to use where electricity is not available.

Talk about a man ahead of his time (in many more ways than one).

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last night I was thinking about the telegraph and thought to myself , there were just a dit and a dash, so it was really like a computer with the one and the zero. So really telegrams were the first emails!

Peace begins with a smile. :)
M Teresa

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
November 13, 1922: Oskar Werner, Austrian actor, is born.

View attachment 50109

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Werner

I thought he was excellent in the film "the Spy Who Came In From The Cold" based on the book by John LeCarre, one of my favourite authors. I thought Werner was much younger than the 91 he is today from what I remember of his films. I googled to check your post as I did not think that was right. You were right of course! Now I feel very old lol.
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought he was excellent in the film "the Spy Who Came In From The Cold" based on the book by John LeCarre, one of my favourite authors. I thought Werner was much younger than the 91 he is today from what I remember of his films. I googled to check your post as I did not think that was right. You were right of course! Now I feel very old lol. Andrew Sent from Oz using Tapatalk
BTW, Oskar Werner died on October 23, 1984. I also liked him as the fireman in Fahrenheit 451.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought he was excellent in the film "the Spy Who Came In From The Cold" based on the book by John LeCarre, one of my favourite authors. I thought Werner was much younger than the 91 he is today from what I remember of his films. I googled to check your post as I did not think that was right. You were right of course! Now I feel very old lol. Andrew Sent from Oz using Tapatalk
I had to read the book at school. (I was a teenager back then.) It was excellent. I can't remember seeing the movie with Oskar Werner, although I'm almost certain that I saw "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold". Should I feel old now, as well? :D

Last edited:

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, Johanna, don't feel OLD, feel young! We read the book in school and I am not sure you would have enjoyed his role in the movie! Oh, that was a heart wrenching book!. Did you also have to read the mutants? I am not even sure if that was the name of the book. I will have to ask my school chum. She wrote my paper on it for me! It might have been called the "chrysalis "? I will get back to you on that! :) ;)

Peace begins with a smile. :)
M Teresa

Most reactions

Latest posts