What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On-Line Storage?

donaldf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings to all:
Can we Upload music, store on-line and then put that music into our new iPad 3?
If so, where can you store it?......Google?....Hotmail?......Special place?

donaldf

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
if you have an iPad, then iTunes Match is the best way. I think you pay $25 / year and you can upload all your music (well, it only uploads the music in your library that is not in the iTunes library). Then you can download, not stream, to any of your iOS devices. And you get a legal license to any thing stored on your computer, regardless of how you came upon it.

OP
D

donaldf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please explain, "Music in your library that is not in the iTunes Library"....That is where it all is in my iTunes Library??????

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please explain, "Music in your library that is not in the iTunes Library"....That is where it all is in my iTunes Library??????

I mean music that the iTunes store knows about....the stuff you can buy from iTunes (apple) and download to your computer...not the database on your computer. You'll notice that your local iTunes can only supply album art for stuff that the iTunes store knows about...because your local iTunes gets info from the mothership: iTunes Store. Hope that is more clear.

OP
D

donaldf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, you have to have a computer available with iCloud to do it?.....or is iCloud a separate App for storage ?????

jawa6306

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cloud is dedicated for congruency across your iOS devices. Depending on what you have enabled it will sync your pictures, videos, messages, calendar dates, notes, mail, reminders, and bookmarks across your iOS devices. If you install the cloud control panel you can also have some of that media on your computer as well. This way, when everything works right, when you walk out of the house, you can continue the conversation you were having on your iPad on your iPhone or iPod touch.

Cloud also provides backup and restore services. By default it should back your data up when your device is plugged in, locked, and connected to wifi. This way if anything should happen you just have to connect to WiFi and tap "restore from cloud" and all your data will be put back on your iPad exactly where it was.

For music and such check out iTunes match as described above.

For documents and other data that you want to have on your PC and iPad I would suggest Dropbox. It has saved me many a time when I've had a presentation or something and either lost a thumb drive or had a corrupted file. All I had to do was hook my iPhone (you can use an iPad too) up to the projector and open my presentation through Dropbox. It works great for music and video as well. I keep a lot of stuff on there that I don't want to be without but that I don't want hogging space on my iPad. It's free so check it out here http://db.tt/MjWA6Li0

Also, I realize I sound like an advertisement for both Cloud and Dropbox and I'm sorry, it's just a little late here.

Most reactions