What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old versions of apps

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have jailbroken iPad 2, so stuck on iOS 5.x
Majority of the newer app versions require at least iOS 6.0 I wonder if anyone knows Apple making older versions available too or soon your iOS 5.x device is obsolete?

Thanks in advance.

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The idea is that Apple wants you to update your IOS and not get leave it at previous versions. However, much lies with the developer. If the developer is only making them for the latest version, then you don't have very much choice.

OP
F

fuzzychicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The idea is that Apple wants you to update your IOS and not get leave it at previous versions.
Oh, I know that. After burning significant cash on series of Macs, Mac softwares and iOS devices, I have parted my way from Apple, but I would still like to get maximum juice out of whatever devices I am left with.

Thanks for the developer comment. I have not seen any app available for more than one iOS version, so I am not too sure if it solely lies with the developer. If Apple store is not giving them options to make more than one version available, thats about it. Coding is another part. I have not seen anyone doing iOS fragmentation study that you always see with android. I am sure there are many like me sitting on iOS 5.x version.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have jailbroken iPad 2, so stuck on iOS 5.x Majority of the newer app versions require at least iOS 6.0 I wonder if anyone knows Apple making older versions available too or soon your iOS 5.x device is obsolete? Thanks in advance.
I have good news for you. Apple has started allowing users of older iOS devices that are not running the latest iOS version to download the last compatible version of an app for the iOS version on the device.

image-2672336398.jpg

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What devices does this work on I tried to but it still told me I need a newer iOS?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What devices does this work on I tried to but it still told me I need a newer iOS?
It has to be legacy devices that can no longer update to the latest iOS version, such as the iPad 1 or iPhone 3GS.

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried it on a iPod touch 1...... Yes I still have one and it's works lol

Most reactions