What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old iPad stuff to new ipad2.

miwy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I buy an ipad2 does ALL of the stuff from my ipad1 sync to my ipad2?
Is it as simple as syncing old iPad to computer and then syncing new iPad2 to computer?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely!

One of our most experienced posters, twerppoet, posted this quick and easy guide.

“In iTunes, with your iPad connected, choose you iPad under devices.

Right click on the iPad and do a Backup.

Right click on the iPad and choose Transfer Purchases.

Explore iTunes on the computer and make sure all your media and apps are there.

That will do most of what you need. To be on the safe side, go through any of your apps that store or create documents and make sure you email, or otherwise save them to the computer. Be sure to include the Saved Pictures album in iPhotos.

When you get your new iPad sync it to same account and computer. Right click on the device and choose Restore from Backup. I'm not completely sure of the right sequence in the restore procedure, so you might want to grab the iPad User's Guide. But as long as you did the first part with the old iPad you should bje able to fumble you're way to a complete recovery of all your stuff.

Before you send back your iPad, be sure to Restore it from the main device screen. This will remove all your personal data and set it to the same state you received it in.â€

Hope this helps!

Tim

cannontrodder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a similar thing and can confirm it does work but I'd like to point out a couple of minor issues, hopefully with solutions:

1 Any photos you have synced to the ipad from your computer will be lost if you no longer have them on your computer. Make sure you have no photos on the iPad that are not located anywhere else.

2 My homescreen icons were scattered all over the place. I think this may be because I opted to upgrade the OS the first time I plugged ipad2 in. It might be best to just restore first and then upgrade later.

I didn't bother to export any application data out other than just by the iTunes backup and everything was transferred across.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When I finally got my iPad 2 and followed my own advice, I also noticed a bit of app rearrangement. It also happens (unpredictably) when you are changing app arraignment or adding/removing them in iTunes, or (more rarely) when updating an app on the iPad.

No idea what causes this, just a glitch we have to live with for now.

Photos that you sync to the iPad via iTunes should always be kept safe on the computer. Two reasons; so you don't lose them if you have to restore the iPad, and because the iPad versions are optimized for the iPad. That means they may not be as high quality as the originals.

That is only true of the photos synced through iTunes. Photos saved on the iPad, or imported by other means (like the camera connection kit) are full quality photos. You should back those up too, or chance losing them. (They do get saved when you backup the iPad in iTunes, but there is no way of getting at them except to restore to an iPad)

Most reactions

Latest posts