What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okay, did Apple sell me out?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Years ago when I joined my ISP, they gave you the option of up to 5 e-mail addresses. Though I've only used one, I setup all five, swiping all the variants of mine name and initials that were still available. The only mail these addresses ever got was service alerts from AT&T. With the iPad, I set two of the accounts to use the e-mail app and now I'm seeing spam. Has anyone else noticed this?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Nothing here like that. As far as I know the email app does not really have spam filters, so everything get through. So perhaps the email software on your computer filters them and you just don't see them? Just the first thing I could think of that might be a reason....

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
The mail app doesn't transfer any data anywhere. The addresses you enter in stay on your iPad and your iPad alone, just like with smart phones, notebooks and comptuters. If you are using an ISP email address that is your problem, as most of them don't offer great spam filters. All it takes is your email address to get picked up by one spam bot and it can be forwarded on to thousands of them.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It may sound a round about method however I would suggest setting up a gmail account and then forward all your mail to gmail then have the Apple mail App receive the gmail account. Gmail has the best spam filter I have seen and is perfect for both ipads and iphones. Since I set up gmail i have not had one spam get pass.
Col

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have your own domain then you might want to use a 3rd party cloud service for you email hosting and anti-spam, anti-virus services. I would use App River as they do exchange hosting as well.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another vote for gmail spam filter. My unused Comcast address gets more spam.

Well, actually not... Just more than my gmail inbox. The gmail spam folder is always full, but I don't see it unless I go dumpster diving.

OP
E

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think it's my spam filtering. I was wondering if it was related to my giving the e-mail addresses to Apple. I used one of them for my iTunes account, the other for the Apple store reservation. I wasn't suggesting the iPad itself was leaking them...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It may sound a round about method however I would suggest setting up a gmail account and then forward all your mail to gmail then have the Apple mail App receive the gmail account. Gmail has the best spam filter I have seen and is perfect for both ipads and iphones. Since I set up gmail i have not had one spam get pass.
Col

I have all my mail forwarded to my gmail account....it saves them forever filters spam and allows me to send and receive email from all my addresses in one place.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
I have all my mail forwarded to my gmail account....it saves them forever filters spam and allows me to send and receive email from all my addresses in one place.

I totally agree as I stated above Gmail acts like a bus station for all addreses blocking spam and easy to access from apple mail or gmail apps

Most reactions

Latest posts