What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offline Service Netflix

Marylandlove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just joined the Netflix-world and it's really awseome. I thought they provide an offline service like Spotify but unfortunately you're just able to watch movies while being online :// My apartment doesn't provide wifi everyday, they have a huuuge unknown problem..GRR. Is there a possibility to watch movies offline? Like Saving them from Netflix?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum! :) I'm a Netflix 'streaming' customer, but usually watch on my Roku device (which of course requires a Wi-Fi network); I just opened the Netflix app on my iPad Air 2 and started a movie - turned off Wi-Fi and after the buffered memory ran out, the movie stopped - when I reactivated Wi-Fi, film started up again. Thus, you need the Wi-Fi connection - if download (DL) for offline viewing were an option, then copyright laws would be a major issue, i.e. the film would have to be automatically deleted after a given time (like renting from Apple).

Now I've not really checked to see if Netflix even offers a DL choice, so I would suggest visiting the Netflix website and go to the help area - there you can either call or start a chat and get a direct and specific answer to your question (see image below). Dave
Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 12.29.39 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just joined the Netflix-world and it's really awseome. I thought they provide an offline service like Spotify but unfortunately you're just able to watch movies while being online :// My apartment doesn't provide wifi everyday, they have a huuuge unknown problem..GRR. Is there a possibility to watch movies offline? Like Saving them from Netflix?
At the current time Netflix does not offer an offline viewing option for its subscribers but there are rumors that Netflix will launch such a service later this year.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hello again - we've already addressed the Netflix question, but you might want to tell us a little more about what I put in bold above. Answers to some of these questions might let us better understand your situation: 1) Do you have an ethernet jack in your apartment or is your connection (when available) via a centrally located Wi-Fi router; 2) Do you know the ISP being used my your manager (cable, DSL, satellite, etc.); 3) Does the apartment complex have an experienced IT person addressing this issue; 4) Do all in the apartment building have the same internet connection issues as you; 5) Have you walked to various areas/floors of the complex to see if the internet improves; and 6) Has the IT person and/or manager reset the router? Dave :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Of course, Netflix would be happy to add postal DVD service to your account, for another ten bucks a month. The selection is more current than streaming as well.

If your local library participates in Hoopla, its app offers an option to save a movie for offline viewing rather than stream it. I've never tried saving one myself, but streaming from my iPad to Apple TV worked OK. It's free.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Of course, Netflix would be happy to add postal DVD service to your account, for another ten bucks a month. The selection is more current than streaming as well.

If your local library participates in Hoopla, its app offers an option to save a movie for offline viewing rather than stream it. I've never tried saving one myself, but streaming from my iPad to Apple TV worked OK. It's free.

Hi Lanny - unfortunately, our OP has not returned - her problem seems to be a lack of Wi-Fi access in her apartment, so 'streaming' is the issue watching on her iPad - she needs to respond about the questions I posed previously about her wireless access - might be able to make some suggestions knowing the specifics or possibly recommend a Mi-Fi option based on 'pay as you go' - hope that we have some follow-up posting? Dave :)

OP
Marylandlove

Marylandlove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again - we've already addressed the Netflix question, but you might want to tell us a little more about what I put in bold above. Answers to some of these questions might let us better understand your situation: 1) Do you have an ethernet jack in your apartment or is your connection (when available) via a centrally located Wi-Fi router; 2) Do you know the ISP being used my your manager (cable, DSL, satellite, etc.); 3) Does the apartment complex have an experienced IT person addressing this issue; 4) Do all in the apartment building have the same internet connection issues as you; 5) Have you walked to various areas/floors of the complex to see if the internet improves; and 6) Has the IT person and/or manager reset the router? Dave :)

Hey Dave :)
Wow thank you for taking the time :))

Well i have actually no idea what's going on but it seems to be in the house and not just in my apartment. I do have a wifi-connection but there are some days ( i don't know why just a few days per week) when the connection is just lost. We asked the renter to get in that problem but it seems that he's a lazy fool! Unfortunately we don ot have an experienced IT person.

Weezer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could use a third party software do capture some movies like Administrator edit: removed link to movie copy site. If you keep the movies JUST for yourself it should be okay from the legal point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Weezer: while I do appreciate you trying to help the OP, we cannot, in good conscience, allow a reference or a link to a program that records streaming movies. It is a service that allows someone to violate copyright laws and user agreements for streaming. This forum will not condone or advocate this behavior.

Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey Dave :)
Wow thank you for taking the time :))

Well i have actually no idea what's going on but it seems to be in the house and not just in my apartment. I do have a wifi-connection but there are some days ( i don't know why just a few days per week) when the connection is just lost. We asked the renter to get in that problem but it seems that he's a lazy fool! Unfortunately we don ot have an experienced IT person.

Hi again - thanks for the response above - well, all of the Wi-Fi issues/questions that I posted previously would have to be answered to provide any further suggestions, sorry. I'm assuming that your 'landlord' is the IT person? Again, re-setting a router often helps, a new router might be needed or some type of extender if portions of the complex were affected differently regarding the wireless signal, or even a different ISP w/ a better & faster signal coming into the place - don't know?

If you have not looked at the Mi-Fi link given before, then take a peak - the device is cheap but a data plan would be needed, so an ongoing expense, but some of these Mi-Fi companies offer 'pay as you go' plans, if say you need service just a couple times a week for only a few hours each time? Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts