What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPad

alfa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad 2 (wiFi/GSM) is now in iOS 5.01 is there a way for me to upgrade to 6.1.2 now and then jailbreak it. I understand that the only one being signed by apple is 6.1.3

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My ipad 2 (wiFi/GSM) is now in iOS 5.01 is there a way for me to upgrade to 6.1.2 now and then jailbreak it. I understand that the only one being signed by apple is 6.1.3

Nope. Even if you have 6.1.2 blobs, unfortunately the iPad 2 is not susceptible to any on-board exploits that would allow you to install a custom firmware like you can on the older devices. However, if you do have iOS 5.1.1 blobs, you can use the iOS 5.X re-restore feature from RedSn0w to upgrade from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 if that makes a difference for you.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've updated the first post to reflect the direct download links for iOS 8.

Just remember, as of this writing, iOS 8 is NOT jailbreakable. So, don't upgrade if you want to stay jailbroken.

You have been "warned." :D

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've updated the first post to reflect the direct download links for iOS 8.

Just remember, as of this writing, iOS 8 is NOT jailbreakable. So, don't upgrade if you want to stay jailbroken.

You have been "warned." :D

Marilyn

To tack on a little. iOS 8 is technically jailbreakable, but just about everything will break when you attempt to jailbreak it since tweaks and core files are not yet compatible with iOS 8. In the literaly sense, you can jailbreak it, but on a practical level, it's not jailbreakable in the sense that you'll be able to use your device without yanking out your skull. And it's always best to stay on a known working iOS as opposed to upgrading to a brand new iOS threshold that's extremely buggy while stock, let alone when jailbroken :p

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try downloading the one for just GSM. This one:

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8.1/031-08962.20141020.l2Kvy/iPad3,5_8.1_12B410_Restore.ipsw

See if that works...

Marilyn

Actually i am on 7.1.2 jailbreak. Dont want to get stuck if something goes wrong. My internet connection is slow and ios 8.1.1 is just around the corner. So dont want to do hit and triaI with another file. I would really appreciate if anybody can confirm about successfully using any ipsw on my ipad model.. I hope its not related to using dowload manager?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but you can't just use any IPSW file, you have to use the one for your specific iPad. If the one you orginally downloaded is not working, then you have to use the one that does.

And, are you trying to upgrade on the iPad itself? Because you have to use iTunes to upgrade - so it's easier to just download the IPSW file to your computer and then do the upgrade with the computer and iTunes.

Marilyn

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, but you can't just use any IPSW file, you have to use the one for your specific iPad. If the one you orginally downloaded is not working, then you have to use the one that does.

And, are you trying to upgrade on the iPad itself? Because you have to use iTunes to upgrade - so it's easier to just download the IPSW file to your computer and then do the upgrade with the computer and iTunes.

Marilyn
I am trying to restore complete using dfumode. Using itunes. I am sure of my model number. I have previously done updates. I have latest version of itunes. Its just so wierd. I had downloaded offline and tried using shift and click in itunes to restore. Can i put the ipad in dfu mode and then download new ios using itunes itself (it should download the correct version then). Will it download full version or only upgrade?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to restore complete using dfumode. Using itunes. I am sure of my model number. I have previously done updates. I have latest version of itunes. Its just so wierd. I had downloaded offline and tried using shift and click in itunes to restore. Can i put the ipad in dfu mode and then download new ios using itunes itself (it should download the correct version then). Will it download full version or only upgrade?

Sure, you can use iTunes to do the download. Just make sure you select "Restore" and not upgrade (cause upgrade doesn't do as clean a job as restore - especially for a jailbroke iPad). So, there is no harm in doing it that way (and you can then guarantee you'll have the correct IPSW file).

No harm will come to your device if you try the other IPSW. If it doesn't work, all you'll have to do is reset the iPad and you'll be out of DFU-mode and back to normal.

Sometimes, these sites that provide the IPSWs get the naming conventions wrong. I got the links from redmond Pie, so I thought they were pretty accurate...

I had to do the same thing the other day with a friend's iPhone. He downloaded the wrong IPSW file and I didn't know that until I went to load it. iTunes rejected the file, I brought it out of DFU mode and it was back to normal (jailbreak and all). The fussing I did over wasting my time having to download another big file ... well, that's a story for another time. :)

Regardless, you can use iTunes to do the restore. Just make sure you've made a backup prior, in case.

Marilyn

vicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure, you can use iTunes to do the download. Just make sure you select "Restore" and not upgrade (cause upgrade doesn't do as clean a job as restore - especially for a jailbroke iPad). So, there is no harm in doing it that way (and you can then guarantee you'll have the correct IPSW file).

No harm will come to your device if you try the other IPSW. If it doesn't work, all you'll have to do is reset the iPad and you'll be out of DFU-mode and back to normal.

Sometimes, these sites that provide the IPSWs get the naming conventions wrong. I got the links from redmond Pie, so I thought they were pretty accurate...

I had to do the same thing the other day with a friend's iPhone. He downloaded the wrong IPSW file and I didn't know that until I went to load it. iTunes rejected the file, I brought it out of DFU mode and it was back to normal (jailbreak and all). The fussing I did over wasting my time having to download another big file ... well, that's a story for another time. :)

Regardless, you can use iTunes to do the restore. Just make sure you've made a backup prior, in case.

Marilyn

I checked the link from pangu app. It shows different name of ipsw for my model. I am downloading that now. I will tell if it works. If it does, you can correct the link here so that othersc can benefit. If it doesnt, then will try to download and restore with itunes

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For future reference on how to determine the correct IPSW, plug your device into iTunes, and head over to your device's detail page which allows you to Backup, Restore, tells you the breakdown of your storage, etc. On the top, you should see your capacity, phone number (if applicable) and its serial number. If you click on the serial number, it turns into your device's UDID, if you click on the UDID it turns it to ECID, and if you click ECID it turns to the Product Type, which will show your device's identifying header, i.e. iPad 3,1 or iPhone 5,2, or iPod 5,1, etc. That eliminates the guesswork out of downloading/finding IPSWs.

For older devices namely the iPad 3 and below, the iPhone 4S and below and the iPod Touch 4th Gen and below, you can use RedSn0w to identify your device. If you run RedSn0w and stay on the landing main screen, and you connect your device to your computer, it will identify the device with the identifier if you haven't changed the preference to only show model and user assigned name.

kidneyshot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone can add the links for the new iOS 8.4 for the iDevices? Thank you in advance!

Kuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use iPad 1 Then jb with abstainthe but ITS still 5.1.1 how to upgrade to 7.1.1 ? Sorry i'm new use Apple...

Most reactions

Latest posts