What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Office2 HD/Goodreader + Dropbox

Tobiaspl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got my iPad last saturday and have been looking around a lot to get the right apps on my iPad. I'm new to Apple devices, let alone the iPad so i'm sorry if this question had an obvious answer :p

Recently I bought GoodReader to be able to open/annotate PDF files. I must say I love this app.

Then I was looking for an app to create/edit/save/mail/etc Word/Excel documents and ended up getting myself Office2 HD. App works fine only one issue.. When I try to open files that I've saved in GoodReader I can't find them.

Then I downloaded DropBox to get the storage space and share my documents on there. Now I can access all my documents from my laptop/iPad on both devices. But when I open a .docx file in Office2 HD, edit it, and try to save it back onto DropBox it says that the file is read only and that I can only store it on my iPad.

My wish is to get the files on my iPad (or in dropbox/similar app) and being able to open/edit it with Office2 HD + GoodReader.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Greetings,
Tobias

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...[little snip her to get to the meat] ... when I open a .docx file in Office2 HD, edit it, and try to save it back onto DropBox it says that the file is read only and that I can only store it on my iPad.

My wish is to get the files on my iPad (or in dropbox/similar app) and being able to open/edit it with Office2 HD + GoodReader.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Greetings,
Tobias

Hi, Tobias -

What I have found is that it is best to open a file that is stored in Dropbox is from the app itself. It appears that Dropbox keeps the file "open" if you go from Dropbox to open the file and that's why it won't save. You need to fetch the document from within the app in order for it to save properly.

I usually keep a generic picture "opened" in the Dropbox app, that way I never have any document open that I wish to work on and/or save.

Hope that's not clear as mud and that I made sense. Good luck.

Marilyn

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to the OP. is Office2 HD able to annotate doc files like GoodReader can annotate PDF files?

I'm a student and my professor sends class notes in doc form. We then edit them by hand in class. I would love to expedite the process and edit them from my iPad while in class. Can you, or anyone, comment on Office2's ability to do so or recommend another app that can fill this void?

Thanks in advance.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Tobias

I open an Excel file in DropBox then tap the little arrow in the top right-hand corner and Open in Office2. I don't need to use GoodReader at all in the process.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
to the OP. is Office2 HD able to annotate doc files like GoodReader can annotate PDF files?

I'm a student and my professor sends class notes in doc form. We then edit them by hand in class. I would love to expedite the process and edit them from my iPad while in class. Can you, or anyone, comment on Office2's ability to do so or recommend another app that can fill this void?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, there is no way to annotate (e.g. draw) on a .doc file. At one time, I remember someone posted an excellent reason why (something about how .doc files aren't designed that way) - but I've forgotten the specifics. What I got/remember is: no app exists.

Does your professor give you these .doc files in e-mail/post them to a forum? If so, your best bet is to save them as PDF files. That way, you can annotate them to your heart's content.

Good luck.

Marilyn

SparkleApps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does Office2 HD integrate with other file storage like iDisk or what about a network share?

kelvink2020

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a Tutorial for Office 2 HD?

Hello Everyone in the Forum,

I am a new user of IPAD.

I just purchase Office2 HD but can't seems to able to figure out the full features. Is there any tutorial?

How to save a pdf files which opened in Browser to my IPAD?

If I have reset / "reformat" my IPAD, do I have to pay again for installing Office2 HD and how many time I can do that?

I will appreciate members of this Forum that uses Office2HD to help me.

Thank you very much

Kelvin Khor
Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia.

sreshtap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to reopen an old topic.

I need to work on files even when I don't have a wifi/3g connection. When I am offline Office2 Hd cannot retrieve files from Dropbox. I can open "starred" files in Dropbox and then open them in Office2 Hd but then I cannot save them without an internet connection. Is there a work around? Is there another word processor that is able to open and save files from Dropbox **offline**?

Thanks,

Rit

Hi, Tobias -

What I have found is that it is best to open a file that is stored in Dropbox is from the app itself. It appears that Dropbox keeps the file "open" if you go from Dropbox to open the file and that's why it won't save. You need to fetch the document from within the app in order for it to save properly.

I usually keep a generic picture "opened" in the Dropbox app, that way I never have any document open that I wish to work on and/or save.

Hope that's not clear as mud and that I made sense. Good luck.

Marilyn

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sreshtap said:
Sorry to reopen an old topic.

I need to work on files even when I don't have a wifi/3g connection. When I am offline Office2 Hd cannot retrieve files from Dropbox. I can open "starred" files in Dropbox and then open them in Office2 Hd but then I cannot save them without an internet connection. Is there a work around? Is there another word processor that is able to open and save files from Dropbox **offline**?

Thanks,

Rit

You would need to have your files residing locally in say Goodreader, where they can be opened and saved. Dropbox offline does not work the same as on a PC or Mac, mainly due to space. You would then have to sync back to Dropbox once you have connectivity.

Most reactions

Latest posts