What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with Office2 HD and iPad Dropbox

ozstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have iPad 3 with ios 7.4 and Office HD2.

I have a txt file which I can see on the left side of the open Office2HD in 'local files'.

I touch it and it opens where I can edit it.

When I'm finished I want to save it so that it is available in my Dropbox folder on my PC's.

I touch the 'Save' button then 'Save As'.

I see the filename an d location shows as 'local files'.

I touch 'local files' and I get a panle which says 'choose a destination folder'.

I see two folders.. My Story and Test Folder.

If I touch My Story I see a few other folders.

If I touch 'Test folder' I see the 'DropBox' folder.

When In touch that, I get an empty panel which at the bottom says, 'Choose Dropbox.

I touch that and see the location is now Local Files/Test Folder/Dropbox.

I 'Save' it.

It says 'File Exists' Like to overwrite file?. I choose 'Yes'

The open file shows again where I can once again edit.

I 'Close' the file and see the list again on the left side with folders 'My Storyu' and Test Folder' showing.

I touch the Test folder and then the Dropbox folder and see the file I just save.

The problem is.. I don't see that file in my PC Dropbox folders.

What am I doing wrong please?

Thanks

oz

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Office2 HD, nor how it supports DropBox.

I can suggest an alternate method that does not depend on how DropBox is set up in the app.

Instead of using the Save As option, go to your Share options and choose to Open In DropBox. This should open the DropBox app and give you options to change the files name and folder destination before saving it. Obviously, the DropBox app must be installed and set up on the iPad.

As I said, I don't use Office2 HD, so I can't be more detailed than that; but I would be shocked if the Open In option isn't there. It is pretty standard.

Edit: I Re-read your post. The other possibility is that the problem is on your PC side. Make sure your PC's DropBox folder is updating properly, and in a reasonable amount of time. To test it you could go to the DropBox website and upload a file that way, using your browser. That bypasses any issues the iPad might be having, letting you know where to concentrate your troubleshooting time.

Last edited:
OP
O

ozstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks.. I will give it a go tonight.. and report..
oz

OP
O

ozstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay I gave it shot and found where I was going wrong however I find now that when I go to save it to the Dropbox folder in Office2HD, it says the folder is 'Read Only' so I have to save it somewhere else. :-(

Yes the Dropbox folder on my PCs works fine and updates correctly. I just created a new folder on the PC and saw it in the Office2 HD iPad Dropbox file list. Only thing is, I can't get to save a file there yet from the iPad. Will keep on looking though.

Thanks again,

oz

OP
O

ozstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I found out what I need to do. It seems it has to be saved within Office2HD on the Ipad and them 'copied' or 'moved' to the Dropbox folder and yes it shows up in the PC Dropbox.

At least I am able to access them now.

Not sure if there is a better way.

Many thanks for the help.

oz

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a DropBox app for iPad, available in App Store. Afaik it's free. I'm sure when you download the app, there's an easier possibility to access your files in Dropbox and save them back there.

What you will have to do to access DropBox from your device is sign in with your account. Then open Office2HD and try to connect it to Dropbox. There's certainly a way to do so. This will make the whole process (opening a file, saving it to Dropbox) easier.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you want the copy to exist only on DropBox. I don't know if that is possible in Office HD2.

Most apps are limited to uploading, downloading, and/or syncing folders with DropBox. Using DropBox as a native offline folder is rare. None of my apps will do it, and other than a couple of text editors I can't remember hearing of any other apps that will.

Most reactions

Latest posts