What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Office for iPad App to Get Released Ahead of Windows 8 Version

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
office-windows-8-app.jpg

It’s a known thing that Apple and Microsoft are archivals, and this is perhaps the main reason why millions of iPad users around the world are still waiting for a stand-alone touch-friendly Office application. Now, according to new reports from the industry, it seems that the team developing the Office iPad app, codenamed “Miramarâ€, is nearing the final point of the development.

Microsoft's Executive Vice President of Marketing Tami Reller has recently said that Microsoft is looking to balance its Windows and cross-platform plans, so this is a hint that Redmond will change its business strategy toward other platforms, which are obviously owned by rivals. Satya Nadella, the newly named CEO will have an important role in this shift. According to inside sources, Microsoft's touch-first version of Office, codenamed "Gemini", is going to be released for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 users in the Windows Store, but only after the iPad version gets launched.

However, there are big chances that Microsoft won’t release a stand-alone version of Office for iPad, but it will rather tie it to the Office 365 subscription package, just like it has done with Office Mobile apps for iPhones and Android phones. Rumor has it that the touch version of Office for iPad will get launched in the first half of this year, but there's no word yet on its pricing.

Source: Wind8Apps

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sucks that they won't make a standalone office app. Trying to get more users for 360, I guess. I was all ready to purchase. I don't need 360, I don't even need the office app, really. Smh.

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sucks that they won't make a standalone office app. Trying to get more users for 360, I guess. I was all ready to purchase. I don't need 360, I don't even need the office app, really. Smh. Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

Nah, this office release is soooooo late and so meh that it doesn't even matter at this point. Microsoft is about three years late with this. If they'd have released a good office client for the iPad a few years ago they'd have made a TON of money off of it. Instead, they screwed around and decided to get into the hardware business which was fairly stupid. Oh well.

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why bother, or is MS so desperate that they are trying to make mobey twice from their competioiton 1st for the app and then for Office 365?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A quality release of Office on the iPad would make Micro$oft hundreds of millions literally overnight.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nah, this office release is soooooo late and so meh that it doesn't even matter at this point. Microsoft is about three years late with this. If they'd have released a good office client for the iPad a few years ago they'd have made a TON of money off of it. Instead, they screwed around and decided to get into the hardware business which was fairly stupid. Oh well.

I totally agree. MS has missed the boat big time on this and honestly, they will get what they deserve. IMO, they have seriously damaged software development on the PC platform. So they are due what comes there way. Having said that, I have come to appreciate what they have done with windows 8. But I think there previous sins will harm their future.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I totally agree. MS has missed the boat big time on this and honestly, they will get what they deserve. IMO, they have seriously damaged software development on the PC platform. So they are due what comes there way. Having said that, I have come to appreciate what they have done with windows 8. But I think there previous sins will harm their future.

Yeah, I just don't see why they messed with their seemingly very successful hardware independent/software paradigm? They decide to try and be apple after years of doing their own thing and it's going to cost them. Windows 8 is maturing and all that but overall MS seems like they are an afterthought now instead of being the defacto go to systems. As for office on the iPad? I'm perfectly content with numbers and pages for what I have to do. I understand that those are NOT as full featured or as deep as MS office but like I said, they are too LATE with this.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I just don't see why they messed with their seemingly very successful hardware independent/software paradigm? They decide to try and be apple after years of doing their own thing and it's going to cost them. Windows 8 is maturing and all that but overall MS seems like they are an afterthought now instead of being the defacto go to systems. As for office on the iPad? I'm perfectly content with numbers and pages for what I have to do. I understand that those are NOT as full featured or as deep as MS office but like I said, they are too LATE with this.

No way is Office for iPad going to be full featured! That's probably why they will be it on the web rather than a standalone iPad app. Too little too late. MS fades to black.... :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no use for Office anymore. Just way too late in the game, while other apps have made its showing and have done the job for me!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Micro$oft could surprise us all and provide a tablet designed UI with seamless syncing between desktop files and tablet files thru the Cloud - but since they waited so long to release, they better have a boatload of easy to use features....and seamless compatibility.

Dusker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a new buyer into the Apple market the missing Office suite was a worry. Then when analyzed what parts really using of the total Office package realized that for me on my IPad Pages and Numbers would work well enough. Tried an export as excel and as a simple data collection data base base without formulae worked a treat. It may be hard to give up what one has been used to but.....kind of agree with the others MS bit late trying to catch up now. As an old trainer from days gone by.....the big issue is to get users to get the best out of the system they use by using help etc.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a new buyer into the Apple market the missing Office suite was a worry. Then when analyzed what parts really using of the total Office package realized that for me on my IPad Pages and Numbers would work well enough. Tried an export as excel and as a simple data collection data base base without formulae worked a treat. It may be hard to give up what one has been used to but.....kind of agree with the others MS bit late trying to catch up now. As an old trainer from days gone by.....the big issue is to get users to get the best out of the system they use by using help etc.

Yep, that's the deal. Most of us have found another solution to meet our office needs on the iPad. If MS would have had this out a few years ago things would be a lot different but it's the old "if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle" thing. Nothing to see here.

Most reactions

Latest posts