What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd issue with modified stylus

Kamakzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A question for my fellow iPaders. I had my father modify an acase stylus for me. He popped the top end off and put a fiberglass extension on it. I wanted this so I could reach the top of the iPad screen more easily. However if I hold onto the fiberglass end the stylus does nothing when touching the iPad but if I move down to the stylus part itself it works fine. Any ideas why it doesn't work? Any tips on how to make an extension that does work? Attached is a crude photo that I took of the modified stylus with the iPad

! photo (Copy).JPG

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you google a DIY stylus you will see that the key to making a stylus work on an idevice is the electrostatic charge from your body against the screen. By extending it, you've broken the conductivity of the stylus. If you were to extend a stylus, you would need to use a conductive metal that links to the conductive rubber-like material that the tip is made of. My current stylus has a grip made of the same conductive material that the tip is made from. If I hold the stylus further up the shaft, it does not respond, just as you have experienced.

OP
Kamakzie

Kamakzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's amazing, thanks for the response. I wonder what kind of conductive material would work and can I just attach it to the original stylus... Guess I'm off to Google.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kamakzie said:
That's amazing, thanks for the response. I wonder what kind of conductive material would work and can I just attach it to the original stylus... Guess I'm off to Google.

You could try silver or aluminum paint, the metal contents is often used a a shield against Radio Interference.

OP
Kamakzie

Kamakzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadbraincell said:
You could try silver or aluminum paint, the metal contents is often used a a shield against Radio Interference.

Got it figured out.. Used some copper and now it works fine.

OP
Kamakzie

Kamakzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: copper works fine but makes my hands smell. Just ordered an aluminum rod. Hopefully it will conduct enough to work. Will update if it does.

Most reactions

Latest posts