What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Number in Parenthesis Next to an App

footslogger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know why an app would have a number in parenthesis to the right of its name on my home screen/page ?

It only appears next to the Facebook app icon. There is a number (8) in parenthesis and I have no idea what it means. It doesn't seemmto relate to/with anything once I open the app.

Thanks in advance.

MJ

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
can u post a screenshot?

me thinking its just a notification.

screenshot on device, how to:
press sleep(top button) and home(circle button) at the same time, done. now find that screenshot in photo app(camera roll), to post here... this forum have an app.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a notification icon. Its meaning, however, varies according to the particular app with which it's associated. When you download an app you'll sometimes be asked if you wish to allow the app to send you notifications. This could be news stories in the case of a news application, update notifications in the case of the app store, or responses to threads on this board in the case of the app associated with it.

Since I try desperately to disentangle myself from the tentacles of Facebook, I can't tell you specifically what the notification means in the case you cite. But I suspect it may mean that one of your friends has posted something to your Facebook page or has updated their own page.

Most reactions