What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NoteApp w/OCR, PhatPad or Underscore Notify

flips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to get a notes/annotations app that does handwriting recognition (OCR) and is pleasant to use.

Most apps, like NoteShelf and Peninsulate lack OCR. NotesPlus will get it later, but so far it seems like Underscore Notify (with in-app purchase) and PhatPad are the alternatives.

If I read correctly, PhatPad lacks handwrist protection, while Notify lacks shape recognition. (Not sure if notify has audio recording, not that I need it, i think.)

Anyone tried both and care to give a recommendation?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hate to play the pedant, but OCR (Optical Character Recognition) isn't the same as handwriting recognition. OCR is primarily used to recognize text when scanning documents.

There is some overlap, but if you search for OCR, you aren't going to find the results you are looking for. Which is why I though it was important enough to remember.

There are several threads on this subject. Do a search for note taking apps, and/or handwriting recognition. You'll find a wealth of advice and opinions.

Here are a couple to get you started:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...ing-app-ipad-notes.html?highlight=handwriting
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps...riting-recognition.html?highlight=handwriting

OP
F

flips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didn't know OCR was different, thanks for clarifying. :)
I did read those threads, and even posted in one of them.
Then I tried posting this new thread, specifying what I've learned so far ...
But I guess I might conclude that no one here has tried both PhatPad and Underscore Notify and has an opinion.
(I did read about Writepad too, but PhatPad is closer to my need.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry about that. That's the way with forums. Sometimes you get gold, and sometimes you're lucky if you can find a shovel.

Most reactions