What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not happy

penpitstop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:( very sad today....I've only had my iPad 2 since august and accidentally dropped it running for a train last week and smashed the the top screen..it still works but it's obviously dangerous because of the glass ...I read loads of things about being completely honest..made an appointment with apple in Brent cross which is my nearest store..still takes about 40 mins to get there...to be told by a very young whippersnapper that there was nothing they could do and it would cost me £296 for a new screen.. NOT HAPPY.. I've got two iPhones and a mac..spend loads of money with apple and got absolutely nowhere....I'm now stuck with an iPad that I use for work everyday with a smashed screen...very sad

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - the replacement policy is not generally known by shop front staff. I suggest you go back and - very politely and very humbly - ask to see the Manager. It may take a little persistence but, eventually, I'm confident it will be replaced. For obvious reasons, Apple don't advertise or publicly acknowledge this policy - it's a good will gesture, but they keep it quiet.

Tim

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is sad. So sorry! Apple isn't really obligated to replace your iPad, however. It is not their policy but is done at discretion of the Apple store you visited, apparently. There are a few threads on this topic you may want to read, as well.

OP
P

penpitstop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so much Tim I might do that as it even had
apple cover on it too!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind that Apple is probably going to discontinue it's 'unofficial' policy in the not too distant future (if not already). They are offering a new Apple Care Plus package that includes accident insurance. Once that has been around for a while (and I'm sure they will push it) you can expect to be told, "well, you should have bought Apple Care Plus."

I remember reading an article when the iPhone 4S came out that predicted this, and 'if' I remember right, the article claimed Apple as it's source.

I've had so few component failures with my Apple products in the past I often skip on Apple Care. Now that it includes accident insurance, I'll probably get it, if I can scrape the money together. Unfortunately, unlike basic Apple Care, you don't have a year's leeway to get it. It must be purchased at the same time as the device.

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
penpitstop said:
:( very sad today....I've only had my iPad 2 since august and accidentally dropped it running for a train last week and smashed the the top screen..it still works but it's obviously dangerous because of the glass ...I read loads of things about being completely honest..made an appointment with apple in Brent cross which is my nearest store..still takes about 40 mins to get there...to be told by a very young whippersnapper that there was nothing they could do and it would cost me £296 for a new screen.. NOT HAPPY.. I've got two iPhones and a mac..spend loads of money with apple and got absolutely nowhere....I'm now stuck with an iPad that I use for work everyday with a smashed screen...very sad

Any chance on claiming on your household insurance? Depends on your cover of course.

Sent from Wales, using my iPad & iPF.

tglaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why should Apple pay for your carelessness? Sometimes you have to step up and take responsibility for your self. You broke it...you fix it.

tglaze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the problem. Too many people looking for help or a hand out. Take care of yourself.

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Sorry for your loss.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tglaze said:
Why should Apple pay for your carelessness? Sometimes you have to step up and take responsibility for your self. You broke it...you fix it.

A lot of people have had their screens replaced at various Apple stores so once word gets out people expect it. It's not hard to understand the frustration of the OP! Have mercy.

Most reactions