What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not getting iMessages on iPhone

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've never had iMessage enabled on my iPhone, I just like getting basic texts. But now when someone texts me with iMessage enabled on their iPhone i don't get them. This started I think when I upgraded my MacBook to Yosemite. I was getting the iMessage texts on the MacBook but not my phone. So I signed out of that on my MacBook but I still don't get them on my iPhone.
Any help or ideas?
Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you gone to Settings>Messages>iMessage to make sure iMessage is turned on? If it's turned off you can't send or receive iMessages.

OP
Ipad Now

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't want iMessage enabled, I only want sms text messages.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want iMessage enabled, I only want sms text messages.
You have to disassociate your phone number from your Apple ID. Go to Settings>Messages and meme sure iZmessage is turned on, then tap on send/receive and tap on the Apple ID at the top of the page ant tap sign out. Go back to the iMessage page and turn off iMessages. That should work. Now have someone with a non iPhone send you a text message to check it out. Let us know if it doesn't work.

OP
Ipad Now

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No this didn't help.
I keep iMessage off on my phone. Just recently I stopped getting texts from people who have iMessage "on" their phone. What has changed?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check your Messages app on the iPad and/or other iOS devices as well, and make sure the phone number is not listed as a recipient. If you have a Mac, same thing.

OP
Ipad Now

Ipad Now

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Think I've figured it out.
The people who had iMessage enabled did not have the SMS option turned on and that's why I wasn't getting their texts.
Thanks to all who helped me.

alicepattinson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try to go to settings-messages-imessage then turn it on. I hope it help you.

Most reactions

Latest posts