What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Carolina Mountains - Beautiful Vistas & Great Retreats!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Chris Capozzoli - Local Luthier - Often Using Recycled Wood

The second exhibit in a small adjacent room highlighted the guitar artistry of the Chris Capozzoli - he was born in Charlotte, NC in 1980 - his shop is located in Sugar Groove near Boone - more in the link given and the quote below. In an article on NC Luthiers, Chris is featured stating that his guitars run from $1600 to $5500 USD. The guitars featured in this exhibit included electric, acoustic and bass instruments - the pics below cover the guitars shown - as a lover of wooden instruments, these were just beautiful. Dave

Known for years among a close circle of discerning and talented players, Capozzoli Guitar Company has been one of those lesser known but highly respected builders of stringed instruments that’s been creating extraordinary guitars, basses and more under the proverbial radar for some time. But that’s about to change.

One of Chris Capozzoli’s strong selling points has been his creative use of reclaimed materials, largely among them has been a wide array of hardwood barn siding. Much of this wood has been collected from old, existing barns in the region where, in many cases, he has had exclusive access.

You’ll see Capozzoli’s use of these incredible woods in the regular line that includes the beautiful “DC” semi-hollow double cutaway model, or the Kuiper semi-hollow single cut, as well as the Royale basses. At the same time, he has created other very unique, masterfully executed stringed instruments such as his Electric Banjo, Electric Upright Bass and Barnwood Electric Classical guitar. His Acoustic 00 and Baritone Ukulele are a testament to his versatility.(Source)
BR12_19B0.JPG
BR12_19B1.png
BR12_19B2.JPG
BR12_19B3.JPG
BR12_19B4.JPG
BR12_19B5.JPG
BR12_19B6.JPG
BR12_19B7.JPG
BR12_19B8.JPG
BR12_19B9.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sallie Middleton: Asheville Native and Wildlife Artist

Sallie Middleton (1926-2009) was born in Asheville, NC and lived in a unusually designed house (more in the link for those interested); she developed into a remarkable artist of nature using mainly watercolors - the pics below fail to bring out the fine details of her work, e.g. the whiskers on the otter are easily countable! She spent most of her life in Asheville and Charleston, SC (not bad choices, in my mind!) - there is a website HERE for purchase of prints if the images shown below pique your interest. Dave :)
BR12_19C0.JPG
BR12_19C1.JPG
BR12_19C2.JPG
BR12_19C3.JPG
BR12_19C4.JPG
BR12_19C5A.JPG
BR12_19C5B.JPG
BR12_19C6.JPG
BR12_19C7.JPG
BR12_19C8.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pete Lupo: Wildlife Artist

Pete Lupo is a wildlife sculptor and painter who constructs all of his art from wood (yes, every item in his works shown below - some look like rusted cans or a pair of gloves - is made from wood and painted) - he lives in Lenoir, NC (about a half hour drive from Blowing Rock) - amazingly realistic with an understanding of his techniques; short synopsis below from his website, where he has some items on sale for around $2500 or so. Dave

There are artists who paint, and there are sculptors who carve. There are naturalists who understand nature, and there are spiritualists who celebrate the connection between all life. Pete Lupo is all of these, artfully rolled into one. Pete is more than a wood carver; he's a true artist and sculptor of life. His connection to nature and the lessons learned from the animals and plants is reflected in all of his work. Great beauty and meaning is found in the ordinary objects that surround us. Pete shares these insights with us in each piece of his art. (Source)
BR12_19D1.JPG
BR12_19D2.png
BR12_19D3.JPG
BR12_19D4.JPG
BR12_19D5.JPG
BR12_19D6.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
David Holt has been a North Carolina musical and television personality for decades - winner of Grammy Awards among his many achievements (see quote below and link for more) - what I did not know was that he was an excellent photographer - below are many of the images from his exhibit at the museum, including some of the most famous celebrities from country music, bluegrass, and the folk traditions - this was a fun exhibit for me since I have dozens of CDs of many of these artists. Dave

Four-time Grammy Award winner David Holt is a musician, storyteller, historian, television host and entertainer, dedicated to performing and preserving traditional American music and stories. Holt plays ten acoustic instruments and has released numerous award winning recordings of traditional mountain music and southern folktales. (Source)
BR12_19E1.JPG
BR12_19E2.jpg
BR12_19E3.png
BR12_19E4.JPG
BR12_19E5.JPG
BR12_19E6.JPG
BR12_19E7A.JPG
BR12_19E7B.JPG
BR12_19E7C.JPG
BR12_19E8A.JPG
BR12_19E8B.JPG
BR12_19E8C.JPG
BR12_19E9A.JPG
BR12_19E9B.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Elliott Daingerfield (1859-1932) was an American artist - below is just a paragraph from his longer bio in the link, for those interested - the quote concentrates on his relationship to Blowing Rock; Edgewood Cottage was his first home and studio in the town - his third was Westglow which is now a fancy spa and restaurant. The cottage is adjacent to the Blowing Rock Museum, along w/ an outdoor sculpture of Daingerfield painting the church across the street which Susan is admiring - he has been discussed in some of my previous posts in this thread. Dave

In the summer of 1886, Daingerfield traveled to Blowing Rock to recuperate from a severe case of diphtheria contracted during the previous winter. This proved to be a turning point in his artistic development as he was enchanted by the North Carolina mountains and made them the subject of many of his paintings. Also, it was the beginning of his long devotion to Blowing Rock where he maintained summer homes for the rest of his life: Windwood, his second residence, was completed in 1900; Westglow, his third, was built in 1916. Meanwhile, he continued to paint at the Holbein Studios in New York City where he came in contact with several noted artists including A. H. Wyant and Kenyon Cox. He was awarded the "point d'appui" in 1891. The following year he showed his painting The Mothers to members of the Salmagundi Club. (Source)
BR12_19F1.JPG
BR12_19F2.JPG
BR12_19F3.JPG
BR12_19F4.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for another wonderful knowledge feast.

Thanks Scifan.. - we always enjoy visiting this 'small' museum but I was astounded this time at the number of enjoyable exhibits and all by local artists, several of whom were new to me - cannot really pick a favorite although the woodworking skills on the guitars by Chris Capozzoli piqued my personal interest. We likely will not be back to Blowing Rock for 6 months or so and am already looking forward to upcoming shows! Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Blowing Rock - Chetola Resort - June 2020

Well, with this COVID-19 pandemic, Susan & I have been sequestered in the house for 2 months and needed some type of 'safe' break! So, we decided to rent a condo again at the Chetola Resort for 3 nights - there will be no maid service (the usual) and we will order food delivered rather than enjoy the fine restaurants here - our activities will be some walks around Bass Lake which is open, of course w/ social distancing (plus we have masks) and some drives on the Blue Ridge Parkway - not ideal but a pleasant get-away that we feel is not dangerous for us 'oldsters'! Pics below of the Parkway on our way in and also a lovely well decorated 2nd floor condo w/ a loft - we are located by the two ponds, a familiar spot of us on this vast property. Not sure how much more I'll post because most attractions (including the BR Museum that I discussed last December) are closed. Dave :)
ChetolaJun20A.JPG
ChetolaJun20B.JPG
ChetolaJun20C.JPG
ChetolaJun20D.JPG
ChetolaJun20E.JPG
ChetolaJun20F.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m sure the place is spectacular during the fall with all the colours on display.

Hi Scifan.. - the mountains along the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) are beautiful in the fall - I've not checked back in this thread, but I'm sure pics are posted of the fall colors, my own or from the internet. One of my favorites (from the web) is of the Linn Cove Viaduct in the fall (my lock screen wallpaper) shown below - I love driving the viaduct (and will likely do today or tomorrow) - the last portion of the BRP, the Viaduct was completed in 1983 (the parkway was started in 1935 during the Depression to provide employment) - the structure curves around the base of Grandfather Mountain (which was undisturbed - amazing engineering achievement - see quote below and much more at the link - of course, the viaduct and GF Mountain have been previous topics in the thread). The second pic shows the viaduct w/ the green vegetation, the appearance this weekend. For those interested the last image places the Linn Cove structure along the 469-mile length of the BRP which starts in Virginia just west of Charlottesville and ends in Cherokee, NC. Dave :)

The Linn Cove Viaduct is a 1,243 feet (379 m) long, concrete segmental bridge which snakes around Grandfather Mountain in western North Carolina. Completed in 1983 at a cost of $10 million, it was one of the last major construction projects on the Blue Ridge Parkway which runs 469 miles (755 km) linking Shenandoah National Park to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Built mostly along the spine of the Blue Ridge, the parkway was fully completed and opened for through traffic in 1987. (Source)
LCViaduct1.jpg
LCViaduct2.jpg
LCViaduct3.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Now that I’ve seen the photos I do remember seeing them in one of your posts.

Well, too lazy to go back in the thread and locate the pic(s), but always worth posting that fall image (and the others) - BTW, for those who may be on the Parkway this summer, there is a small visiting center and also a trail to hike - not sure if opened due to the COVID-19 pandemic? Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
First Full Day of Trip - June 2020 - Bass Lake, Blue Ridge Parkway, & Linn Cove Viaduct

Relaxed in our condo in the morning, and had brought breakfast/lunch/snack items and drinks - in the early afternoon, went to Bass Lake for a little exercise - first six pics of the lake w/ Canadian geese and a swan; views of the Moses Cone Mansion (discussed many times before in this thread), now closed - then about 10 miles or so south on the Blue Ridge Parkway (one view from a scenic overlook) to driving over the Linn Cove Viaduct, discussed in the previous post (and of course linked and topic of other posts).

For whatever reasons (COVID-19, summer weekend, kids not in school, etc.), the Parkway (i.e. Overlooks, Trail Parking sites, camp grounds, etc.) was the MOST crowded Susan and I have ever seen - in the past, we usually avoided the summer months (kids out of school) - also, other activities and attractions are closed (meaning many in the Blowing Rock & Boone areas). We'll likely return in a few months but avoid the weekend - uncertain what will be open with this pandemic still with the world! Dave :)

ChetolaJun20G1.JPG
ChetolaJun20G2.JPG
ChetolaJun20G3.JPG
ChetolaJun20G4.JPG
ChetolaJun20G5.JPG
ChetolaJun20G6.JPG
ChetolaJun20G7.JPG
LCViaduct2.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Second Full Day of Trip - June 2020 - Walk Around Chetola Lake

The day was overcast and in the mid-60s, so I decided to drive down to the Lodge and take my usual walk around Chetola Lake. Pics include views of the Lodge from across the lake, Canadian geese w/ some young ones still around, and a fairly new building which is the resort's headquarters (top) and apparently home of the owner's mother (bottom). Also included are views of the small dam and an interesting and likely large pine tree stump with fascinating coloration - could not count the number of rings but the tree certainly predated the development of the resort and probably goes back to the earlier years of Blowing Rock?

There was a group of 4 ducks (assume two males & 2 females) ducking for vegetation near the shore - not sure what kind? Fishing is allowed in the lake, mainly bass and trout w/ a release limit of 6 inches - Susan and I are not fisherman although I use to go out on her father's boat (Long Island Sound) and do some fishing (now decades ago!). Timberlake's Restaurant is open w/ social distancing and curbside pickup - we've been ordering delivery to our condo from a variety of places. Finally, some of the pretty flowers around the lodge. Tomorrow back home for some more sequestration in the house! But a pleasant break in the 'cool' mountains. Dave :)

ChetolaJun20Ha1.JPG
ChetolaJun20Ha2.JPG
ChetolaJun20Ha3.JPG
ChetolaJun20Ha4.JPG
ChetolaJun20Ha5.JPG
ChetolaJun20Ha6.JPG
ChetolaJun20Ha7.JPG
ChetolaJun20Hb1.JPG
ChetolaJun20Hb2.JPG
ChetolaJun20Hb3.JPG
ChetolaJun20Hb4.JPG
ChetolaJun20Hb5.JPG
ChetolaJun20Hb6.JPG
ChetolaJun20Hb7.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Biltmore Inn and House Not An Option Now - Sad!

Well back in August 2018 on this thread, we visited one of our favorite summer get-aways, i.e. the Biltmore Estate - invited our son and DIL and left some wonderful posts a few pages back.

Thus, we would have made a return visit this year about now! But w/ COVID-19, as oldsters we have been quite precautious - below the Biltmore House from the front and back (latter on a horse carriage ride 2 years ago). Apparently, the estate is opened likely w/ a LOT of safety precautions - note below from Bill Cecil, Jr. (great grandson of GW Vanderbilt) indicating their adherence to the CDC guidelines.

I'm not sure how many are reading this thread - BUT, I'm about half way through a new book about the house (last pic below) - half way done and excellent - recommended for those interested in the house and the people responsible for building the 'castle' and related to visiting often - still remains the largest private house in the USA. Dave
BE_1a.jpg
BE_1b.JPG
BE_1c.png
BE_1d.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts