What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Georgia Mountains - Waterfalls, Vistas, & Wineries

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Georgia (USA) Wines

Wines have been made in the state of Georgia over several centuries but the state opted for prohibition in 1907, and until the early 1980s (after additional state legislation was passed) did the wine industry develop at the rapid pace. There are now about 46 wineries (according to the map below - not sure of its date, so likely more presently). Most of these wineries are north of Atlanta in the Georgia mountains where the widest types of wines are made - those south of Atlanta and near the coast (Savannah) likely concentrate more on native grapes, particularly the Muscadine.

In the mountains, an assortment of grapes are used to make wine including European vinifera, French-American hybrids, and native American grapes - many are blends of these varieties. We visited just four the the wineries listed on the map which included:

Crane Creek Vineyards (first two pics after the map) - bought a couple of wines - one called Zusa (a Riesling, Traminette, & Gruner Veltliner blend - my favorite of the two) & Seyval Blanc (French-American hybrid).

Habersham Winery (next two pics, and a pioneering winery from the early 80s) - actually bought 6 bottles - 3 for Susan (she likes the native American grapes and fruit wines, blended or not; plus a little sweetness) - I picked three but my favorite was their Merlot.

Sautee Winery (single pic from the tasting house porch - just a beautiful view) - bought 2 bottles w/ my favorite being the Sautee White (a Chardonnay & Viognier blend).

Stonewall Creek Vineyards (next two images) - bought 3 wines w/ my favorites being the Petit Manseng & Cabernet Franc - the Petit Manseng was new to me and just delicious - the wine is white and the grape is from southwestern France (thus, a vitis vinifera varietal) - great acidity & floral flavors, which reminded me of a Torrontés from Argentina which is thought to have originated on the Iberian peninsula, so one on either side of the Pyrenees Mountains.

The last two pics are several other Georgia wineries that we did not visit, but likely on a future trip, we will explore more of these wineries - just another facet of the many things to do in the north GA mountains - Dave :)
View attachment 65878 View attachment 65879 View attachment 65880 View attachment 65881 View attachment 65882 View attachment 65883 View attachment 65884 View attachment 65885 View attachment 65886 View attachment 65887
Another excellent post. I never knew how many excellent vineyards and wineries there were in the eastern U.S. Until reading your posts.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another excellent post. I never knew how many excellent vineyards and wineries there were in the eastern U.S. Until reading your posts.

Thanks - although I knew that Georgia had a wine industry, I was surprised by the beauty, number, and size of many of the wineries - definitely worth further sampling - :)

North Carolina now has 130 wineries and three AVAs (American Viticultural Area - Source) w/ the largest being the Yadkin Valley AVA (see map below), which is near us (we are about 25 miles west of Greensboro). Virginia has 223 wineries and over a half dozen AVAs and other geographical wine regions (other map below) - numbers from this LINK, which states that British Columbia has 257 wineries! I've had just a handful of wines from BC and have enjoyed the dessert ones - few reach me on the east coast. Dave

An American Viticultural Area (AVA) is a designated wine grape-growing region in the United States distinguishable by geographic features, with boundaries defined by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) of the United States Department of the Treasury.[1]

The TTB defines AVAs at the request of wineries and other petitioners. As of March 2015, there were 230 AVAs in the United States.[2] Prior to the AVA system, wine appellations of origin in the United States were designated based on state or countyboundaries. All of these appellations were grandfathered into federal law and may appear on wine labels as designated places of origin, but these appellations are distinct from AVAs.
Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 5.11.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 5.07.26 PM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Highlands, North Carolina & Waterfall Heaven

Well, I was about to stop contributing to this thread (unless some further posts ask questions), but on our way back from Georgia, I decided to continue along HW 64 through the wonderful NC mountain town of Highlands and onto Brevard (famous for its musical festival, waterfalls, etc.) for lunch.

Highlands use to be the highest town in North Carolina (now it's the ski resort Beech Mountain near Banner Elk) and is beautifully situated in the southern Appalachian Mountains (see opening pics below) - we have visited many times and stay at the historic Old Edwards Inn & Spa (pic of just a portion of the property) - there are many excellent restaurants and shopping options, but the major attraction is for mountain activities, especially visiting the numerous waterfalls that are easy drives, some right on the highway, such as Bridal Veil Falls. The last two pics are my own from our last trip to Highlands - a multi-level waterfall w/ trail and many stairs to various levels. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 12.02.46 PM.png

HighlandsRdSign.png
HighlandsAerial.png
HighlandsMap.png

OldEdwardsInn.png
BridalVeilFalls.png
Highlands1.JPG
Highlands2.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Highlands, North Carolina - More Nearby Waterfalls!

Just some more North Carolina mountain waterfalls - I've labelled some - here is a Highlands link for those who might be in the area, along w/ a description of some of the waterfalls; Dry Falls is neat w/ the walkway behind the falling water. Dave :)
CullasajaFalls1.png
DryFalls1.png
DryFalls2.png
GlenFalls.png
GlenFalls2.png
HLandsWFalls1.png
HLandsWFalls2.png
HLandsWFalls3.png
LookingGlassFalls.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are certainly a lot of waterfalls in North Carolina. I like the one where you can drive behind the waterfall.

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are certainly a lot of waterfalls in North Carilina. I like the one where you can drive behind the waterfall.

Yep - neat! :) We passed that one on the other side of the road, and several cars in the other lane were waiting their turns - we've gone underneath several times and the amount of water can REALLY vary depending on the season, rainfall, current weather, etc. - kind of low in that pic shown - below a more impressive one! Dave
Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 2.05.30 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep - neat! :) We passed that one on the other side of the road, and several cars in the other lane were waiting their turns - we've gone underneath several times and the amount of water can REALLY vary depending on the season, rainfall, current weather, etc. - kind of low in that pic shown - below a more impressive one! Dave
View attachment 65930
It looks like you have the option of not going under the waterfall.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It looks like you have the option of not going under the waterfall.

Actually, the falling water regardless of the amount is really not landing on the top of your vehicle (or you if on a motorcycle - ;)) - found another pic that better shows that your car is really under the rock ledge, so that you're just splashed a little on the driver's side; and you have the option to stay in 'real' lane. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 3.51.30 PM.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Brevard, North Carolina - Another Special Mountain Town

Well, just one last post since I mentioned previously that we stopped in Brevard, NC on our way home - just about an hour south of Asheville. HW 64 from Highlands east passes through Cashiers (yet another great place to stop w/ mountain views & waterfalls) onto the town of Brevard (see the previous map as to its location).

Brevard is a popular destination in the North Carolina mountains w/ a delightful downtown area w/ shops, a great music store, and restaurants. Again, waterfalls are an attraction along w/ other mountain activities (see some more below - seems to get monotonous, i.e. there are SO many!). The Brevard Musical Festival is famous & popular (see quote below and click on the link, if interested) - worth consideration if a visit is planned.

This time we just stopped for lunch in Brevard and ate at a favorite spot (maybe our third visit), i.e. The Falls Landing (a few added pics below) - I had a delicious special - Ahi Tuna wrap w/ veggies & a tangy soy sauce - ordered the tuna rare - just great! Sides shared w/ Susan included french fries & a salad w/ blue cheese dressing - in addition, I had a draft IPA made by the Brevard Brewery across the street - a wonderful ending experience to our trip - YUM! Dave :)

Our summer festival includes over 80 opera, chamber, and orchestra performances over seven weeks each summer. BMC students, faculty, and guest artists perform a variety of concerts that range from baroque and classical, to modern and pops. The Music Center's relaxed setting and scenic beauty make it the perfect place to enjoy performances throughout the summer.

Over the past 78 seasons, BMC stages have welcomed some of the world's best soloists including Itzhak Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, Joshua Bell, and more. Orchestra concerts give audiences the opportunity to hear unforgettable performances of true masterpieces.
Brevard1.png

Brevard2.png
BrevardWFalls1.png
BrevardWFalls2.png
BrevardWFalls3.png

BrevardMusic.png

BrevardFallsLanding.png
BrevardBrewing.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brevard, North Carolina - Another Special Mountain Town

Well, just one last post since I mentioned previously that we stopped in Brevard, NC on our way home - just about an hour south of Asheville. HW 64 from Highlands east passes through Cashiers (yet another great place to stop w/ mountain views & waterfalls) onto the town of Brevard (see the previous map as to its location).

Brevard is a popular destination in the North Carolina mountains w/ a delightful downtown area w/ shops, a great music store, and restaurants. Again, waterfalls are a great attraction along w/ other mountain activities (see some more below - seems to get monotonous, i.e. there are SO many!). The Brevard Musical Festival is famous & popular (see quote below and click on the link, if interested) - worth consideration if a visit is planned.

Well, we just stopped for lunch in Brevard and ate at a favorite spot (maybe are third visit), i.e. The Falls Landing (a few added pics below) - I had a delicious special - Ahi Tuna wrap w/ veggies & a tangy soy sauce - ordered the tuna rare - just great! Sides shared w/ Susan included french fries & a salad w/ blue cheese dressing - in addition, I had a draft IPA made by the Brevard Brewery across the street - a wonderful ending experience to our trip - YUM! Dave :)

View attachment 65944
View attachment 65945 View attachment 65946 View attachment 65947 View attachment 65948
View attachment 65949
View attachment 65950 View attachment 65951
Much better than a generic roadside restaurant. Thanks for the info on Brevard.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Much better than a generic roadside restaurant. Thanks for the info on Brevard.

Thanks Scifan.. for your interest & continual support - much appreciated. Brevard is a must visit for those in the area and the restaurant is great - hope that these posts attract some to visit - Dave :)

P.S. on the menu was also a mountain trout which really was tempting! Maybe we'll have to return soon? ;)

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NC has a lot of quaint towns Our next trip, barring any emergencies, is to Asheville (really a city). Though we've gone to Biltmore Estate numerous times, we've never explored the downtown, which is supposed to be artsy and fun. Asheville is also home to at least a dozen breweries.

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
NC has a lot of quaint towns Our next trip, barring any emergencies, is to Asheville (really a city). Though we've gone to Biltmore Estate numerous times, we've never explored the downtown, which is supposed to be artsy and fun. Asheville is also home to 12 breweries.

Well, I already have a travel thread on the North Carolina Mountains which includes a LOT of discussion (and pics) on the Biltmore House - as before, we will be staying at the Inn on the Biltmore Estate (pics below of the hotel - we like the side w/ the best mountain views; the winery is a short walk and has the Bistro restaurant; and depending on the room view, the Biltmore House may be seen, i.e. arrow in one of my images).

Now if anything new is to be discussed (like downtown Asheville) and/or if I shoot some more images, then will certainly add to that travelogue - Dave :)
Biltmore1.jpg
Biltmore6_12No2.jpg

Biltmore6_12No1 copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 1.24.50 PM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts