What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

noobie questions

Davva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first iPad.
I've never owned one or even used one.

I'm planning to buy it from Craigslist but I'm a little wary as I'm not
familliar with them at all and will be handing over cash after a fairly short inspection.

My questions are:

1. Apart from the obvious scratches and dents, is there anything else I should look for?

2. What should I look for after I switch it on?

I realise that these are not easy questions to answer but I'm hoping I can get a few pointers
just to make sure I'm not paying a bunch of money for a paper-weight.

Thanks in advance.

Davva.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ask for the original store receipt..
Verify the serial number of the iPad matches the one on the receipt. SETTINGS->GENERAL->ABOUT
If you can get the receipt, most likely, the iPad is not stolen. If the receipt is not available, take your cash home with you!

Assuming you intend to purchase:
Look for any chipped glass or any sign at the front-to-back cover interface indicating the iPad has been disassembled.

Make sure the Lock Screen is off before you purchase. Settings->GENERAL->iPad Cover Lock/Unlock->OFF

You will need the existing password/code to assign a new one of your own. Try the password/code the seller provides on the iPad Cover Lock/Unlock to make sure it is correct. If the seller indicates a password/code does not exist, ask them to cycle the cover lock from off to on, turning off the iPad in between.

Write down the password/code if there is one. When you assign one, write that down too.

Realize you can't update any paid-for apps unless you have the iTunes log-on information that paid for them.

Good luck. The iPads are a lot of fun.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
as mentioned, appart from obvious physical defects i'd not be too bothered. if it was me, i'd make sure it obviously looked good and acceptable, then i'd to a complete system restore and build it up from scratch.

OP
D

Davva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ask for the original store receipt..
Verify the serial number of the iPad matches the one on the receipt. SETTINGS->GENERAL->ABOUT
If you can get the receipt, most likely, the iPad is not stolen. If the receipt is not available, take your cash home with you!

Assuming you intend to purchase:
Look for any chipped glass or any sign at the front-to-back cover interface indicating the iPad has been disassembled.

Make sure the Lock Screen is off before you purchase. Settings->GENERAL->iPad Cover Lock/Unlock->OFF

You will need the existing password/code to assign a new one of your own. Try the password/code the seller provides on the iPad Cover Lock/Unlock to make sure it is correct. If the seller indicates a password/code does not exist, ask them to cycle the cover lock from off to on, turning off the iPad in between.

Write down the password/code if there is one. When you assign one, write that down too.

Good luck. The iPads are a lot of fun.

Many thanks for the advice. Some excellent stuff there.

I also meant to ask......I may be relocating to Europe in the next few months so would
an iPad bought here work in there? Would I need to have it 'unlocked'?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many thanks for the advice. Some excellent stuff there.

I also meant to ask......I may be relocating to Europe in the next few months so would
an iPad bought here work in there? Would I need to have it 'unlocked'?

To the best of my knowledge iPads do not come locked. That's because you can't buy them on contract. Even if you buy them at a carrier they are full price, (plus the plan and activation fee.)

Both the Verizon and AT&T iPad's are world compatible on GSM, all you need is a SIM from a local carrier. However LTE is more complicated. Here is Apple's list of LTE supported countries for each model. The top two models are the newest 4th generation iPad, just announced yesterday.

Apple - iPad - View countries with supported LTE networks.

A quick glance shows that if you want LTE support in Europe you're going to need to wait for the newest cellular iPad, which won't start shipping until mid November (though preorders start on the 26th of October).

If you want a wi-fi only model, it will work pretty much anywhere.

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
To the best of my knowledge iPads do not come locked. That's because you can't buy them on contract. Even if you buy them at a carrier they are full price, (plus the plan and activation fee.)

Depends where you are. Here in Oz, you can get iPads on 12 & 24 month contracts with the local carriers.

Most reactions

Latest posts