What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No thumbnails for most of my photos....

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I have roughly 160 photos righ now in my iCloud account, and on the iPad the majority do not display a proper thumbnail, only the white square with the little camera and jpg. Emblem. If I tap the square the image appears perfectly, but I can't always edit it or share it . I generally only have full functionality on those images I save from texts or emails. Looking at the iCloud info in settings credits me with 40 photos. Scrolling to the bottom of the photo album gives me a message downloading 115 photos.... This has never changed. Apple tech support told me this was an issue because the iOS on this iPad 2 is older than my iPhoneX and they can't really sync as well as if everyone had iOS 12. Not a huge issue because I generally just grab the phone to text images that refuse to cooperate on the iPad....But I was just curious if anyone else has encountered this. Other than that the iPad is perfect, if a bit slower than it's newer playmate. Ironically my Windows 8.1 desktop cooperates perfectly( can't text, duh..but sharing is amazing), and seamlessly with everyone involved....cool!. Should I be concerned or just plan on hacking up $300 or so for a new one, and move on ( I really kind of want one, purrrr). L

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don’t have this problem, but I’m not surprised to hear it exists. Most of the iCloud Photo syncing updates came well after the last iOS version that runs on the iPad 2.

What you can do is enable Photo Streaming on both the iPad and iPhone. This is an older service that creates shared ablum of the most recent photos taken on each device. The photos in the album are not permanent, and there is a limit on the number. If you want photos to be permanent on the shared with device, you need to manually save them to the Photo Library.

For true iCloud Photo syncing between your devices, you will need a newer iPad; one that can run the same version of iOS as the iPhone would be ideal. (now you have an excuse to scratch that upgrade itch).

Note: iCloud Photo Library may require more space than the free iCloud account provides. It should be enough for 160 photos, but your library probably won’t stay that small.

OP
PrismStudios

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I don’t have this problem, but I’m not surprised to hear it exists. Most of the iCloud Photo syncing updates came well after the last iOS version that runs on the iPad 2.

What you can do is enable Photo Streaming on both the iPad and iPhone. This is an older service that creates shared ablum of the most recent photos taken on each device. The photos in the album are not permanent, and there is a limit on the number. If you want photos to be permanent on the shared with device, you need to manually save them to the Photo Library.

For true iCloud Photo syncing between your devices, you will need a newer iPad; one that can run the same version of iOS as the iPhone would be ideal. (now you have an excuse to scratch that upgrade itch).

Note: iCloud Photo Library may require more space than the free iCloud account provides. It should be enough for 160 photos, but your library probably won’t stay that small.

Funny thing is that they actually sync... sort of. I can take a photo and pull it up on the iPad immediately after, there’s just no thumbnail, so it’ s just being accessed from the server? . I learned about, and finally stopped worrying about the communication difficulties between the devices, and am “ok”(ish) with it for now. Turns out I can send most of the images not showing up,once I open them. but it Is a pain in the butt, as I have to remember the date /location of the image I need.... So, I smell a trade in in my future! Honestly didn’t know I’d fall so deeply in love with the thing. cool. L

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I dont’ know what to say about the lack of thumbnails. This is usually caused by incomplete syncing of the photos; the iPad knows the photo exists, but hasn’t actually downloaded it yet. When you tap on a blank thumbnail the iPad should show a loading indicator (a circle being filled) as it downloads the image. The thumbnail should appear after that.

Been a while since I had this happen to me, so my description might be a bit off.

OP
PrismStudios

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
I dont’ know what to say about the lack of thumbnails. This is usually caused by incomplete syncing of the photos; the iPad knows the photo exists, but hasn’t actually downloaded it yet. When you tap on a blank thumbnail the iPad should show a loading indicator (a circle being filled) as it downloads the image. The thumbnail should appear after that.

Been a while since I had this happen to me, so my description might be a bit off.
It’s strange. When I tap the “non thumbnail”,it just opens. It is only when I tap the send text option for sharing that I get the little loading circle. When I’m finished sending it still doesn’t become a thumbnail, it just resubmerges back into the cloud.... I suppose. L

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It’s strange. When I tap the “non thumbnail”,it just opens. It is only when I tap the send text option for sharing that I get the little loading circle. When I’m finished sending it still doesn’t become a thumbnail, it just resubmerges back into the cloud.... I suppose. L

Ok. Now I have no idea what’s going on. Well, as long as you’re ok with it.

OP
PrismStudios

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
Well, I'm as OK with it as I have to be....just weird. Screenshot of incognito thumbnails....sigh. L
image.png

OP
PrismStudios

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
Well, I'm as OK with it as I have to be....just weird. Screenshot of incognito thumbnails....sigh. LView attachment 84872
Never mind! I just picked up an iPad 6. So thank you and I will be posting on that platform forums now. Target.com is selling them for $245.00 on the site. I folded like a cheap lawn chair! L

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Never mind! I just picked up an iPad 6. So thank you and I will be posting on that platform forums now. Target.com is selling them for $245.00 on the site. I folded like a cheap lawn chair! L

Awesome. That’s a major upgrade. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

OP
PrismStudios

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
Set the iPad 6 up last night.....in a word, iGasm! Only realized the size difference after the fact though, gotta get a new case...But I’ll live.Hey, there’s no sub forum for the 6! How can I gush over it here now?

Most reactions

Latest posts