What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No sound on ios6?

soopersonamara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took a risk and updated my iPad 3 to ios6 on the day it came out (Sept. 19). When the update finally installed, the first thing I noticed was that there were no keyboard clicks. I powered the iPad off and back on, and the problem just disappeared. I could hear keyboard clicks and all other sound worked fine. I had no other problems with ios6 after that. But today, the sound thing randomly came back. Basically the things that don't work are:

- Keyboard Clicks
- Music/Video Volume
- Lock/Unlock Sounds

Other random system sounds don't work either, but ringer/text sounds do play when I adjust them in settings. Also, the beep Siri and dictation make when I use them works fine.

I know this isn't because of the side switch, because its set for auto-rotate. The whole thing gets weird when I try to fix it with the side buttons or multitasking menu at the bottom. When I open the menu and swipe to the left, the brightness slider works fine, but the volume one just isn't there. When I use the volume buttons on the side, the speaker icon shows up, but the volume level doesn't show. I'll post screenshots so you know what I mean.

There doesn't seem to be any problems with headphones in, all sound works normally then, and the multitasking slider/side buttons work fine.

image-423434441.png

Sound Settings

image-448606374.png

Side Switch set to Rotation

image-2813515090.png

No volume slider in multitasking bar

image-1701329296.png

Doesn't show volume level when using buttons

Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to get sound working again? I'm pretty sure this is an ios6 problem, I never saw it before I updated.

Last edited:

shmatco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I took a risk and updated my iPad 3 to ios6 on the day it came out (Sept. 19). When the update finally installed, the first thing I noticed was that there were no keyboard clicks. I powered the iPad off and back on, and the problem just disappeared. I could hear keyboard clicks and all other sound worked fine. I had no other problems with ios6 after that. But today, the sound thing randomly came back. Basically the things that don't work are:

- Keyboard Clicks
- Music/Video Volume
- Lock/Unlock Sounds

Other random system sounds don't work either, but ringer/text sounds do play when I adjust them in settings. Also, the beep Siri and dictation make when I use them works fine.

I know this isn't because of the side switch, because its set for auto-rotate. The whole thing gets weird when I try to fix it with the side buttons or multitasking menu at the bottom. When I open the menu and swipe to the left, the brightness slider works fine, but the volume one just isn't there. When I use the volume buttons on the side, the speaker icon shows up, but the volume level doesn't show. I'll post screenshots so you know what I mean.

There doesn't seem to be any problems with headphones in, all sound works normally then, and the multitasking slider/side buttons work fine.

View attachment 25871

Sound Settings

View attachment 25872

Side Switch set to Rotation

View attachment 25873

No volume slider in multitasking bar

View attachment 25874

Doesn't show volume level when using buttons

Has anyone else had this problem, or know how to get sound working again? I'm pretty sure this is an ios6 problem, I never saw it before I updated.

Yes, I've had this problem too....

After trying everything under the sun what worked for me...

Under Settings/General/Sounds/
I turned off the slide "Change with Buttons"
then went back in and turned it on
then the sound controls came back

give it a shot

Eona

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same issues, it's like one time it will show the little icon showing me turning the volume up and down. Then the next time, there is no sound at all and when I press the buttons fpr volume control there is no icon that pops up showing how loud it is. Btw I'm using the iPod touch 4g, and no it can't be the iPod, it started right after the update yesterday morning..... Apple, be a dear and fix this please!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@soopersonamara

Thanks for the screenshots. Yikes. Your volume slider is actually missing. Not good. As it works on headphones I'm going to suggest plugging the headphones in and then unplugging them a couple of times. From what I see, and read, you know what you are doing, and have everything set up right so I think it's hardware.

Hopefully , you can clear the problem by physically moving the insides of the headphone port.

shmatco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
shmatco said:
Yes, I've had this problem too....

After trying everything under the sun what worked for me...

Under Settings/General/Sounds/
I turned off the slide "Change with Buttons"
then went back in and turned it on
then the sound controls came back

give it a shot

So the sound went out again and plugging in the headphone worked much better - and sound is still working...

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Add me to those who have lost system sounds on my iPad after upgrading to iOS 6.

I tried the recommendations above, no success.

Anyone else got more suggestions to recover system sounds?

dlongaggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue and had figured to send my iPad ("the new iPad") in for service. The headphones were working but only for short periods of time, and though Siri was making noise none of the apps could. I even cold-rebooted.

Anyway, this YouTube clip helped me get back up and running. I used the description, since with no sound I couldn't hear what the guy was saying! I am not affiliated with the app or developer linked, but it worked for me.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

My theory is that iOS 6 itself isn't the culprit; rather, in my case, the "I heart radio" app has some sort of badly-managed exception under the new OS and it caused my audio process to somehow go unavailable. Although a "slide-to-turn-off" shutdown-and-restart did not fix the issue, manually force-clearing all the apps from my multitask manager did.

Most reactions