What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No search in mail body

ragoetze

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

after updating my iPad 2 to IOS 5 I tried the new mail features. Thereby I have noticed that search in mail bodies does not work. I have tried with Exchange, POP3 and iCloud accounts without success. When choosing the all option search is done in the sender, recipient and subject field as with IOS 4.3.5, but the mail body is not included?

Has anyone an idea about the reason for this failure?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
According to the manual, the body text search is only available in the Mail app, and within whatever folder you are currently viewing. Depending on your account type the Mail app may search on the server, or be limited to mail that is currently loaded on the iPad. I assume iCloud searches the server.

The Spotlight (Home Page) will only search the To, From, and Subject fields; but I believe it searches all folder; but probably only emails that are downloaded on the iPad.

When you start typing in the Search bar in Mail you have to choose the field you are searching in. It will only search the body of the email if you choose All. The option appears to be sticky, so you shouldn't have to select it each time.

Most reactions