What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No lock/unlock switch in settings

MB50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a new ipad air, I want to turn on the lock/unlock feature so my cover will put the ipad to sleep but the switch is not there in settings, what am I doing wrong?
I'd post a screen shot but I'm not sure how to.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Screenshots are made by pressing Home and Power button simultaneously, but only for a short time. You'll hear a shutter sound when the screenshot is taken.

Maybe your device just needs to find out that you want to use the cover to lock it. Cover the screen. If it can lock your iPad, the Lock/Unlock button should appear. If your cover doesn't support that feature, you won't get the option.

Last edited:

Erin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Lock/Unlock is under the General tab, scroll down to where is says Auto-Lock, Passcode Lock, Restrictions, and Lock/Unlock. Click the slider that's next to the Lock/Unlock option.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a new ipad air, I want to turn on the lock/unlock feature so my cover will put the ipad to sleep but the switch is not there in settings, what am I doing wrong? I'd post a screen shot but I'm not sure how to.

Are you using a genuine Apple cover or another third party cover?

It's the magnets in the cover which activate the lock/unlock feature to appear in your settings. In earlier iPads you could slide a magnet down the side of the iPad to find where the magnet activates and turn the feature on.....Apple have now changed how this works with the iPad Air. Whereas before there was only 1 magnet positioned in the cover for earlier iPads, it is now thought there are 2 with alternating polarity.

So if you want this feature you will need to buy an Apple cover or wait for third party manufacturers to get their magnets in the correct position.

If you do have a genuine Apple cover then there is something going wrong here.....let us know.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think there are a number of 3rd party covers with the lock/unlock ability. I searched for covers in Amazon for instance and found a number of them. I bought an STM that locks and found a number of others. For me, it is a spec that is necessary after having one with my prior Ipads (and not with the ipad one which didn't have the ability)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Same for me. I use a third party cover that works perfectly with my iPad Air.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you using a genuine Apple cover or another third party cover?

It's the magnets in the cover which activate the lock/unlock feature to appear in your settings. In earlier iPads you could slide a magnet down the side of the iPad to find where the magnet activates and turn the feature on.....Apple have now changed how this works with the iPad Air. Whereas before there was only 1 magnet positioned in the cover for earlier iPads, it is now thought there are 2 with alternating polarity.

So if you want this feature you will need to buy an Apple cover or wait for third party manufacturers to get their magnets in the correct position.

If you do have a genuine Apple cover then there is something going wrong here.....let us know.

I agree with using Apple covers or reputable third party suppliers. I purchased a Smart Cover for my iPad mini and it wasn't the magnets per say, but it was the cover itself. It was cut too short and didn't meet the edge of the Mini. With this short cut-the iPad Mini would turn not turn off when flipping the cover closed. I returned it and bought from another supplier and worked out so much better.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with using Apple covers or reputable third party suppliers. I purchased a Smart Cover for my iPad mini and it wasn't the magnets per say, but it was the cover itself. It was cut too short and didn't meet the edge of the Mini. With this short cut-the iPad Mini would turn not turn off when flipping the cover closed. I returned it and bought from another supplier and worked out so much better.

So I guess, there's good covers and bad third party covers, same with everything! One of my daughters bought a cheapie for her mini, it didn't work, she also returned hers but bought an Apple one. She didn't want to have another hit and miss episode.

There are 2 magnets.....one about 1 and a half inches up from the bottom and half an inch in, the other just over 2 inches in on the bottom.

Glad you found one without too much fuss. ;)

Reaction score
I have a new ipad air, I want to turn on the lock/unlock feature so my cover will put the ipad to sleep but the switch is not there in settings, what am I doing wrong?
I'd post a screen shot but I'm not sure how to.

Reaction score
My iPad Air I can't auto lock. General...there's no auto lock as a choice. How can I do this? Thanks!

Reaction score
An email or emails are greatly appreciated. I can try to come back here too. Thanks! EDITED - no email address

Last edited by a moderator:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad Air I can't auto lock. General...there's no auto lock as a choice. How can I do this? Thanks!

An email or emails are greatly appreciated. I can try to come back here too. Thanks! EMAIL ADDRESS DELETED

Hi Kimberly - first, welcome to the forum! - second, you've responded to a 3 year-old thread and likely will receive little attention - please start your own thread in an appropriate forum, and provide more information, e.g. what iOS is installed on your iPad and what type of cover do your presently have on the device?

Also, responding to email addresses (vs. leaving a post in a thread) is rarely done - no one on the forum reading the thread will see the message and possibly benefit from the information; finally, you should edit and delete your email address - otherwise spam bots will be harvesting and distributing it to many nefarious individuals/groups. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts