What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No external inputs?

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously, I can't put an SD card in this thing and no USB ports? I'm a bit new to this. Can someone explain how I'm supposed to install programs on this thing without using the iTunes store?

Kevin

P.S. For the record, I LOVE what I have seen of this thing so far. :)

Last edited:

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing you've only ever used windows computers?
First off you need to realise that while the iPad is great it isn't a replacement to a computer. It can run many games and other apps, all which can be found on the iTunes app store. There is no way of getting anything onto the iPad without using iTunes. As for ports, there are add-ons you can buy that enable to to take data straight off SD cards, but that's about as far as you're going to get. Sorry.

Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

OP
K

kdryan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are correct. Here's what I've done so far. I've set up my e-mail addresses, downloaded one game, and browsed the internet. I guess I'll pick up more as time goes by. I would much rather have my internet be native to the ipad through my cell carrier than using the wi-fi hotspot on my phone, but I can live with it. I wonder what apps are available to me as a truck driver? Something to keep track of bills of lading, hours, etc would be nice...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kdryan said:
You are correct. Here's what I've done so far. I've set up my e-mail addresses, downloaded one game, and browsed the internet. I guess I'll pick up more as time goes by. I would much rather have my internet be native to the ipad through my cell carrier than using the wi-fi hotspot on my phone, but I can live with it. I wonder what apps are available to me as a truck driver? Something to keep track of bills of lading, hours, etc would be nice...

Damn, I saw an app which does exactly what you are wanting recently......and can I remember the name of it, hell no! If I do I'll post back here but at least you know that you can have a good look in the app store because it does exist!

As for getting information (files) on and off the iPad, get yourself the Dropbox App for both your computer and your iPad, it's free and you get a complimentary 2GB of data when you sign up. You can then just drag files into Dropbox on either and it will then appear on the other. Most good apps have Dropbox compatibility built in.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, that sounded familiar, so I tried a quick power search in iTunes. You'll probably want to look a the iDDL USA app.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Seriously, I can't put an SD card in this thing and no USB ports? I'm a bit new to this. Can someone explain how I'm supposed to install programs on this thing without using the iTunes store?

Kevin

P.S. For the record, I LOVE what I have seen of this thing so far. :)

With iCloud and other cloud services (dropbox, box.net) you really dont need an SD card slot. And there are ways around the USB port issue via the Camera Connection Kit that Apple sells. (unless they've changed this since I've been away)

Sent from the Droid... The one you were looking for...

Most reactions

Latest posts