What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No email

majorkemba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have owned my ipad since March 10, 2011. I have the original ipad. I have not been able to get email on the ipad since the day I brought it home. It worked at the Apple store but not once did it work at home. I have been on the phone, on line too many times to count to get it resolved and they tell me it is the way my email (hotmail) settings are set. I have tried everything, including restoring my ipad and reseting the settings....still no email. I can mail out from the ipad but I cannot receive email on the ipad......can anyone help. Oh, I tried to set up numerous email accounts; i.e. gmail and yahoo, still does not work.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have owned my ipad since March 10, 2011. I have the original ipad. I have not been able to get email on the ipad since the day I brought it home. It worked at the Apple store but not once did it work at home. I have been on the phone, on line too many times to count to get it resolved and they tell me it is the way my email (hotmail) settings are set. I have tried everything, including restoring my ipad and reseting the settings....still no email. I can mail out from the ipad but I cannot receive email on the ipad......can anyone help. Oh, I tried to set up numerous email accounts; i.e. gmail and yahoo, still does not work.

Can you let us know *in detail* the settings that you have used - of course, not the account name or password - and we'll see what we can suggest.

Tim
Scotland

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I would think it would have more to do with your wifi settings than the hotmail settings.

When I'm at home I have no trouble getting my email onto my iPad. However, whenever I connect to my work's wifi, email will no longer download. I don't know much about the technical workings of wifi networks but I'm assuming they have it set up that way so email virus' can't get through on their network.

Maybe your security settings are too high for the iPad?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I would think it would have more to do with your wifi settings than the hotmail settings.

When I'm at home I have no trouble getting my email onto my iPad. However, whenever I connect to my work's wifi, email will no longer download. I don't know much about the technical workings of wifi networks but I'm assuming they have it set up that way so email virus' can't get through on their network.

Maybe your security settings are too high for the iPad?

Interesting idea! I hadn't thought of this. Because the poster had indicated that he could send email, I assumed that the WiFi link was OK and that the problem lay elsewhere - say the POP or IMAP settings - port numbers, security (as you say) or something similar. But he did say that it worked in the Apple Store, so I guess that can't be the case.

I'm assuming (because the poster didn't mention it) that he can browse OK using Safari - so there is incoming data traffic.

I'll wait until I hear back about the settings that are on the iPad.

Thanks for your help

Tim
Scotland

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He doesn't say whether he has a 3G version, but if so he could temporarily disable (turn off) the WiFi in his settings, and then try again using 3G. If it works, it means his home WiFi is the problem.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He doesn't say whether he has a 3G version, but if so he could temporarily disable (turn off) the WiFi in his settings, and then try again using 3G. If it works, it means his home WiFi is the problem.

Another excellent idea - yes, of course, it would be the ideal way of identifying if it's WiFi.

Many thanks

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts