What is Capture 4? How are you transferring the files? You are not trying to transfer raw files, are you? iPad can't view raw files. They need to be jepgs.
AQ_OC thanks for replying. Capture 4 is a Nikon program which I, now, see is needed to view RAW pics. However, that should not be significant as the pics I am trying to move are JPEG fine. I've had no trouble moving the same pics to my iMac (10.6.8).
Hmmm....do you have the camera connection kit? What you are doing is what that kit was created for...if you are just plugging the lightning end into the iPad and the usb end into your computer, the computer should see the iPad as a camera...I even have it connected on my PC now...this pc doesn't have iTunes...I see the apple ipad, and I see a DCIM folder, but nothing is in it...even though I have zillions of photos....
I have to admit, I rarely, if ever, do this....
A camera connection kit with the right lightning connector is a relatively inexpensive way to go for this....