What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next gen iPad

swisspolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so this has probably been discussed and I just can't find it anywhere, but does anyone think the delay on iOS4 for iPad could signify a cheeky hardware upgrade for October/November time. It just seems odd that this world beating device, that Steve Jobs clearly loves, is left with half the RAM and an older OS than the iPhone 4 less than 2 months after release?

Anyone got any clues as to what may be in Apples head?

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Don't think there's any chance there will be a hardware upgrade that fast. That would be completely out of the normal Apple development cycle and they are far from having issues selling it in the form function it is in now. I think it is simply that there are enough differences in the software that it is taking the additional time to tweak it. If anything, I have a feeling there may be more options that develop as a result of the 4.0 port to the iPad.

OP
swisspolo

swisspolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I know they tend to go for the yearly releases, iPhone in May, iPods in fall and macs as and when they feel like it. I guess it is wishful thinking mainly, always nice to have something new and shiny to drool over a bit sooner.

Really looking forward to what iOS4 will bring to iPad, like you say there maybe dome cool developments. I know it won't happen as all the apps are sandboxed for security and performance but some kind of basic file system would be great

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I will say, strangely enough, the main change I'm really looking forward to is the multitasking. Its funny, when I work on the iPad, I've found myself typically running music in the background. It can be a little bit of a pain in the butt to exit out of what I am in, change the track, hit pause or play, whatever, and then go back to what I was doing. Nothing terrible, but believe multitasking will make this much more efficient as far as changing back and forth.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A hardware update would seem odd. But personally i wouldn't mind! I can't wait to see the next gen iPad hardware i wish i could have it now! When the ios4 rolls out for us it well be like a bresh a fresh air! After using the os4 on iphone4 I can see the advantages the update will have for iPad!

If they released new hardware i think thell have a harder time copping with the people that will complain about waiting months for their iPad just for a new one to come out.

How long do you think this demand for this iPad will last? They sell them faster then they can build them? Let's say what do you think the state of demand for iPad will be around the holidays. Still as strong?

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I will say, strangely enough, the main change I'm really looking forward to is the multitasking. Its funny, when I work on the iPad, I've found myself typically running music in the background. It can be a little bit of a pain in the butt to exit out of what I am in, change the track, hit pause or play, whatever, and then go back to what I was doing. Nothing terrible, but believe multitasking will make this much more efficient as far as changing back and forth.

A little tip for you..... I too listen to the iPod app quite a bit.... Goto settings/general/home check iPod, and turn iPod controls on....

Now when you have the iPod app playing in the background, just double tap the home button and a mini iPod controller pops up....

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

A little tip for you..... I too listen to the iPod app quite a bit.... Goto settings/general/home check iPod, and turn iPod controls on....

Now when you have the iPod app playing in the background, just double tap the home button and a mini iPod controller pops up....

AWESOME!!! Thanks so much. God I love my forums!

OP
swisspolo

swisspolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How long do you think this demand for this iPad will last? They sell them faster then they can build them? Let's say what do you think the state of demand for iPad will be around the holidays. Still as strong?

Well every analyst is having to constantly update their numbers for the amount of tablets sold by the end of the year, basically because of how popular the iPad has been. I don't see it slowing any time soon but you never know. If they can't break into that Mum market that they so clearly want, then we may see numbers slow as die hard users fill their boots.

Having said that, the iPad is the first electronic device my mum has picked up and known exactly how to use, exactly what to do and then said "I can see the point of this one, it's really quite delightful". No joke, she said delightful! Having said that, copy paste was still a bit beyond her!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right now, it looks like any hardware upgrades to the iPad will be minimal, even for a Gen2. There is a lot they can do, and should have scheduled, but the longer it takes to see competition, the more they may hold back for later. Most of the changes will be like more RAM, so they can fully use the iMovie app, and a few other items that are major areas of complaint that can be fixed at low cost. I do not see a huge demand for a camera, but it will probably come to allow the iPad to use FaceTime. Also do not forget that a one year upgrade schedule is not across the board. Many of the computers have more than a year upgrade schedule. We may see the iPad on an 18 month schedule, but it is likely they will announce gen2 next February

ventus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt will will be seeing another iPad until next summer. If so Jobs has officially lost his mind. iPads are selling at over two million a month clip. It wouldn't make since coming out with a new one yet. In fact, I could see Apple upgrading once every two years.

Most reactions