What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Gen iPad Should Include Phone, Text

travroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am I right or am I right? It feels redundant setting my iPad down to check my iphone for texts or calls. I want it all on my iPad.

Bring back the home phone!

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or at least a app to have your texts and phone calls forwarded to the iPad when in a wifi spot. That would be awesome. Lets go developers get on it.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google voice can do the text and voice mails. For voice calls your going to have to wait for skype in 4.0

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rather not have to pay for minutes/text, when all I want is the data connection. Plus the lack of contract is always nice :)

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it would be pointless to be a phone. Because then I have to wear one of those "Douche Earrings" as we call them, also known as bluetooth ear pieces. I refuse to wear one of those things, and I'm not going to hold the iPad up to my ear.

Phones are supposed to be small, not huge like the iPad. I don't take my iPad everywhere with me either, so I would need an extra phone anyways.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I def don't see that happening. That's why the iPhone is there so you have that ultra portability and same feel. And you can have free text now! With the text plus application. And why would apple want you to pick the iPad over the iPhone they want you to have both!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can send and receive email. What would you want with text and phone on a device not suitable for it?

Orcapal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can send and receive email. What would you want with text and phone on a device not suitable for it?

SMS would be useful, since that is a band distinct from IM. Phone? Not so much in a device that size, unless it seamlessly works with my existing voiceplan.

Tonyruggles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the point of the iPad. It is the mixture between a smart phone and a net book. Not intended to do everything of either.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to see an app that would allow telephone users to send a voice message to my iPad with immediate notification to me. Oh wait a minute, my mobile phone does that. Never mind.

OP
T

travroy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to see an app that would allow telephone users to send a voice message to my iPad with immediate notification to me. Oh wait a minute, my mobile phone does that. Never mind.
Your mobile phone sends voicemail and notifications to your iPad? Do tell.

Not suitable?? Please. What do you think the infamous forward-facing camera was going to do? Video conferencing is basically a phone call on your iPad. All I'm asking for is a little vision here, people. Sending and receiving email was pretty awesome, in 1995.

SMS would be useful, since that is a band distinct from IM. Phone? Not so much in a device that size, unless it seamlessly works with my existing voiceplan.
Exactly. At&t customers would have their existing cellular account associated to both iPhone and iPad 3G (I may have wrongly assumed we all have iPhones). It's all the same to AT&T, right? It might actually create an incentive for non-ATT customers to switch.

When I've got my headphones on and I'm browsing the internet/mail/apps on my iPad, it's just crying out for me to make a call or send a text. I'm not saying replace your phone, but it would be nice to have everything you need at home, on your iPad.

Jailbroken iPad 3G Sends Text Messages - ipad - Gizmodo;)

Last edited:

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
In general, and specifically during emergencies, texting is vastly more reliable than cell calls. A text will get through faster and more reliably than a cellular call.

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears that The Development team has jailbroken the 3G and hacked it to send text with a T-Mobile SIM. It also appears AT&T included SIMs are locked out from text/voice, even if jailbroken.

Most reactions

Latest posts