What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newsstand Alert Icon app not going away

benna12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I downloaded the MacLife Magazine through Newsstand today (iOS 5), but when I go into the app and read the mag, it still lists it as "New" and the red #1 alert still shows on the newsstand app and will not go away, even though I have opened and read the mag.

Any ideas how to get the magazine to not show as "new" anymore and to get rid of the alert icon?

Thanks,
Ben

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't get rid of it but there is a way to hide it with other grouped apps, there is a recent thread addressing how to do it.
For myself I use Zinio, you buy in app but much easier to manage. I know Zinio has had it's problems in the past but it's been very stable
and I've had no problems at all. The selection is huge, and I have found customer service to be excellent.

☮ ♥ 

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This definately seems to be a bug with Newsstand. There is a simple workaround until it is fixed.

Open Settings > Notifications > and for each of your magazines in the list, turn OFF "Badge App Icon".

This will remove the annoying badge, but still let you be notified through the new notification centre when you have a new issue.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

niitramdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Big time kudos and a sincere thank you to @f4780y for the workaround to this issue. I have been dealing with it over four months.

f4780y said:
This definately seems to be a bug with Newsstand. There is a simple workaround until it is fixed.

Open Settings > Notifications > and for each of your magazines in the list, turn OFF "Badge App Icon".

This will remove the annoying badge, but still let you be notified through the new notification centre when you have a new issue.

Hope that helps!

TechieJosh

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hope that helps!

Very helpful! Thanks much.

Most reactions