What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Question

beasonfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please excuse me if this is answered elsewhere, but I wasn't even sure which terms to use when searching this forum. I was reading an essay in Stanza and I wanted to select a passage, copy it, and paste it into Notability or Pages, but I could not figure out how to do this. I know that I can email it to myself, but this seems a bit ridiculous on an $800.00 machine. Please tell me that I don't have to use the internet each time I want to cut, copy and paste something from one source into another!:confused:

OP
B

beasonfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to avoid using the internet for this. I know that I can use Dropbox and Evernote, but I'd like to figure out how to do this like I would on my computer: select the text, copy it, open the file I want, and paste it.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!:)

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please excuse me if this is answered elsewhere, but I wasn't even sure which terms to use when searching this forum. I was reading an essay in Stanza and I wanted to select a passage, copy it, and paste it into Notability or Pages, but I could not figure out how to do this. I know that I can email it to myself, but this seems a bit ridiculous on an $800.00 machine. Please tell me that I don't have to use the internet each time I want to cut, copy and paste something from one source into another!:confused:

Use your finger as a cursor.

Place the tip of your finger on to the passage you want to copy until you see the commands appear (Select/Select All). Choose Select and highlight the passage you want to copy. Select Copy and then Paste to wherever you want to paste on.

Hope this helps.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Use your finger as a cursor.

Place the tip of your finger on to the passage you want to copy until you see the commands appear (Select/Select All). Choose Select and highlight the passage you want to copy. Select Copy and then Paste to wherever you want to paste on.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for helping here. Appreciated. Yes - you can cut/copy and paste between apps just as the poster suggested. When you touch and hold a position in some text a little 'pop up' magnifying glass appears too, which makes it easier to navigate around the page. If you want to select more than just a word but less than the entire document, choose 'select' and the word the cursor was in is selected.

But two little 'blue-headed pins' appear at either end of the word and they can individually be dragged back-and-forth to highlight more than the original word.

It takes a bit of practice to drag them successfully I have found, but it's a quick way of selecting, say, a paragraph. Then choose 'Copy' and switch to the app that you want to paste into.

Find the position that you want to insert the copied text - same way, touch and hold and the magnifying glass comes up and let's you move around - then select 'Paste' and you're done.

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

beasonfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

I appreciate your quick replies. I understand now how to copy things pretty well. I think that the problem I was having initially was related to Stanza--it doesn't let me copy passages; all it lets me do is email whatever I select.

Thanks again!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate your quick replies. I understand now how to copy things pretty well. I think that the problem I was having initially was related to Stanza--it doesn't let me copy passages; all it lets me do is email whatever I select.

Thanks again!

OK - sorry for the misunderstanding. Does it email using the iPad's native Mail app, or its own mail app? In what form does it email the passage you've selected? i.e. as text or as an image

Sorry for being so slow to understand the problem - it's been one of those weekends.

Tim
Scotland

CPSOX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like a problem with the Stanza app, not the $800 machine.

Tom P.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am able to copy & paste text from Stanza on my iPod Touch 3G using the above described method... touch and hold on desired text until Select and Select All options show. I copied a few paragraphs into Notes and it worked fine. I don't have an iPad yet but I would think it should work the same way because same IOS 4.3

Most reactions

Latest posts