What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie Qns: Transfering files without wi-fi

lancer6238

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to all Apple-related products, but I am really interested in the iPad. What I really want to do with the iPad is to read PDF/DOC/DOCX/PPT/PPTX documents, watch movies in the AVI format, etc.

I guess to do that, I'll need to download specific apps from the itunes store. Can anyone recommend any good apps for that? What about something like a file explorer, where I can organize all my files and folders?

Also, from what I've read online, it seems that to transfer files over from my PC to the iPad, I will need a wi-fi connection, but is there a way to do so without wi-fi? Is it not possible to transfer files over a USB connection?

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Rayne

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rayne, you just need iTunes in you're PC and connect you're iPad via USB, for read file like PDF/DOC/DOCX/PPT/PPTX

You need Acrobat witch is free in iTunes and Iworks for Ipad Piad (app's)

you don't need file explorer as Apple don't allow you to save file every where each file can be find by ONLY is own app's

i hope i am clear for you

regards from Asia

Greg G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you are saying that the sync capability of iTunes handles these file types? I asked as similar question regarding getting pictures transfered and that was the answer. You can't browse and copy but you can point iTunes to directorys of files with compliant extensions and it will transfer?

I wish they would just let us mount it as a usb drive and copy...

-Greg

OP
L

lancer6238

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rayne, you just need iTunes in you're PC and connect you're iPad via USB, for read file like PDF/DOC/DOCX/PPT/PPTX
You can do that? By adding the files to the Library in the iTunes? But the PDF/DOC/DOCX/PPT/PPTX files don't fit in any of the categories (Music, Movies etc), and they will still sync?

I'd use email. :shrug:
Well, for one thing, I'm not using a wi-fi Internet connection at home, and some of the files I wish to transfer are too big to email. I definitely wish for there to be an easier way to transfer files.

Why are there no USB jacks on the iPad? It would be easier to just use a USB thumb drive.

What about playing AVI files? Is it possible or can I only play only mp4 and mov files?

Last edited:

iBean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know why ver.1 has no USB connection, but maybe the plug in the bottom will allow input other than electrical. If not, with no wi-fi, don't know how you will input or read anything. Maybe a wi-fi hotspot at your public library or Starbucks will allow downloads. Also found a hotspot at Burger King. I guess you take 'um where you can get 'um. Even our newer Roadside Travel Stops in Texas have free wi-fi. They are not as hard to find as they used to be.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no you can't transfer document files within itunes, you either have to email them or download over a wifi network, it depends on the app.

iTunes 9 can currently read, write and convert between MP3, AIFF, WAV, MPEG-4, AAC and Apple Lossless.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no you can't transfer document files within itunes, you either have to email them or download over a wifi network, it depends on the app.

iTunes 9 can currently read, write and convert between MP3, AIFF, WAV, MPEG-4, AAC and Apple Lossless.
I don't think this is true. I have read in a couple of reviews that to import docs into Pages, you can drag and drop them into iTunes. I haven't read any more details but I'll keep my eyes open.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found it faster than I expected.
Source
Transferring files to and from the iPad is much easier thanks to the newly redesigned Apps tab of iTunes. Within the Apps tab, there’s a list of apps in a pane on the left, and a Documents window on the right. When you select an app, its associated documents appear to the right. You can drag these documents back out onto your Mac, and you can drag new documents into that window. They sync right away to your iPad. This system appears to be open to all third-party apps, so (for example) a PDF display app could accept PDF files, and presumably a comic-book reader could accept dragged-in comic files.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was playing around in my app section and noticed that it was changed with the latest update. There is now space for what you guys are describing, what appears to be an import area that lists what files go with which app. Use search on your apps page and see what I mean. Although I couldn't find anything in itunes help that describes importing documents to itunes other than audio and video, but maybe I didn't use the right search words. itunes help leaves something to be desired IME.

I'll still use wifi most of the time though, no way am I dragging and dropping my hundreds of recipes in macgourmet into the app page.

OP
L

lancer6238

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all! I will probably be able to find more information once everyone gets the iPad in their hands! :D

Joe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, just bypass iTunes to transfer documents or files (or access pretty much anything you like if you have a jailbreak) with diskaid!

Most reactions

Latest posts