What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New York Times Says iPad Mini is “By Far the Best iPad.â€

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_first_official_pic.JPG
[FONT=&quot]

The New York Times’ Nick Bilton gives the iPad mini a glowing review in the Bits blog today, even going so far as to say that it is Apple’s best iPad yet, “by far.†Bilton heaps Apple’s smallest tablet with praise, saying that it is now what he refers to as his “Desert Island Device,†meaning that it has now taken over from his iPhone as being the one device that he would take to a desert island. Despite being initially sceptical and, he says, rolling his eyes at Apple’s marketing of the new tablet, after using it for two weeks, he is now completely won over by the iPad mini. He even says that it is Apple’s best tablet, by enthusing that it is “the best tablet and reading device anyone has ever made.†Bilton says that what places the iPad mini in this exalted position is the fact that it is “truly portable,†and can fit in most jacket pockets (or handbags). Bilton even dismisses concerns about the iPad mini’s display quality as “completely irrelevant.â€[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Source:[/FONT] The iPad Mini, Perfect for My Desert Island - NYTimes.com

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow. I almost agree with him. I have to admit, though, I'm in love with mine. We still need to keep the pressure on Apple to add a retina screen.

And, IMO, if they can beef up the internals and keep the lightness, then the original 9.7-inch iPad is a goner. :)

This kind of sums it up for me:

Now this is worrying me a little bit:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nick Bilton is an idiot and obviously doesn't read comics or enjoy a good size screen for movies. FAIL :thumbsdown:

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those, the first one is excellent!

Wow. I almost agree with him. I have to admit, though, I'm in love with mine. We still need to keep the pressure on Apple to add a retina screen.

And, IMO, if they can beef up the internals and keep the lightness, then the original 9.7-inch iPad is a goner. :)

This kind of sums it up for me:

Now this is worrying me a little bit:

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those, the first one is excellent!

There is a better version of the second one, by this husband and wife team, but I couldn't find it.

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no interest in a small tablet. I don't care what the NY times tells me, the screen is too small for a laptop replacement, and that is what my tablet is.

End of story.

Johnboysupergolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no interest in a small tablet. I don't care what the NY times tells me, the screen is too small for a laptop replacement, and that is what my tablet is.

End of story.

Have to agree with you here.
I use the iPad3 to pass the time in my taxi whilst waiting on the ranks. A smaller screen is of no use to me. A have an iPhone if I want a smaller screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like screens of all sizes, which is why I own a variety. I don't need a reviewer to tell me what's the "best," because I know what my preferences and priorities are, and he doesn't.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's too small for an only tablet!!! If I get one for Xmas or win it in a contest I won't turn it down lol. I am not going to buy one.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB
iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cwinter said:

End of story.

Nice post!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ncaissie said:
Nick Bilton is an idiot and obviously doesn't read comics or enjoy a good size screen for movies. FAIL :thumbsdown:

I agree. The only advantage the iPad mini has is its size and slightly extra portability. Sure, to some people that's the most important thing but it ain't for everyone. Many of us have a minimum screen size that we find acceptable. No way it's the best iPad yet. The latest generation fills I've iPad outperforms the mini by a large margin. And the display is a no brainer. Just saying. As I sit here with my totally outdated iPad 2 ;)

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree. The only advantage the iPad mini has is its size and slightly extra portability. Sure, to some people that's the most important thing but it ain't for everyone. Many of us have a minimum screen size that we find acceptable. No way it's the best iPad yet. The latest generation fills I've iPad outperforms the mini by a large margin. And the display is a no brainer. Just saying. As I sit here with my totally outdated iPad 2 ;)

For me it is a waste of $$$. Heavy book readers will probably love this size as it easily fits into a purse or nap sack (or whatever you carry around). OR you can usemit as a very large iPod. But if I get it as a gift I wouldn't turn it down lol.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many of us have a minimum screen size that we find acceptable. No way it's the best iPad yet.

Agree almightily! I absolutely love my iPad 3 but if they bought out that 13 incher that I am quietly imagining, I would still be proud to have an iPad and at a size that would really suit me. But, hey, that's just some wishful thinking!
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Outperforms how? People don't run benchmarks...the mini runs all software destined for iPad.....albeit at lower resolution....and given that is weighs less than half what the regular iPad weighs, its usability is higher. If/when it get the retina, it will be THE iPad to have.

The whole screen size argument for a tablet doesn't hold much weight in my mind. We all use tiny phones....even the mini is several times larger. And no tablet is really a good experience for watching movies.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me it is a waste of $$$. Heavy book readers will probably love this size as it easily fits into a purse or nap sack (or whatever you carry around). OR you can usemit as a very large iPod. But if I get it as a gift I wouldn't turn it down lol.

I'm not a heavy book reader though I am a heavy reader. The only advantage of the larger iPad is its screen, but even I can live without it. The screen isn't that much smaller either, but try holding the regular iPad in your hands for even an hour.....it's too heavy. And I can read the screen just fine....I have it sitting in my lap right now outside my doctors office while waiting for them to open. I guess if one has vision issues that might be an issue....but I read just fine at this distance....even without retina.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts