What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new with questions

OTtheAT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am working with students with physical disabilities and needing to use iPad for education and rec/leisure. I am hoping that someone here can help me figure out how to change the actual size of the program icons on the home screen for improved independence with limited motor control. I do not want the zoom feature-ideally would be able to change the size of the app icons to allow for 2-4 LARGE icons on each screen. Can someone help please? TIA!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am working with students with physical disabilities and needing to use iPad for education and rec/leisure. I am hoping that someone here can help me figure out how to change the actual size of the program icons on the home screen for improved independence with limited motor control. I do not want the zoom feature-ideally would be able to change the size of the app icons to allow for 2-4 LARGE icons on each screen. Can someone help please? TIA!
I'm afraid that what you want is not possible, at least on a stock iPad. Such a change would need a jailbroken iPad and a jailbroken tweak that makes it possible. At the current time, there is no jailbreak for iOS 9.1 or iOS 9.2, the two most recent iOS versions.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not what you asked for, but perhaps the Touch Accomodation settings in Settings > General > Accesibiltty will help. This has severl settings that allow you to tailored touch behavior to the indivuduals' motor skills.

There's also the switch control options, which may work better for you, if you can get the extra hardware.

You probably already know all this, but I mention it anyway, just in case.

Another thought, though I doubt this is an option. The iPad Pro can be set up in what is called Zoomed view (Settings > Display & Wallpaper). The icons and touch targets are 25-30% bigger (rought estimate). Basically, it's a standard iPad display stretched out accross the iPad Pro's larger screen.

You lose a lot of the nice new iPad Pro UI stuff, but I doubt that would be an issue for you're use case.

OP
O

OTtheAT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, I've explored the other accessibility options but was unaware of the Pro capabilities. Sounds great but not sure that the price tag will make this a feasible option...yet.
I had researched into the 'jailbreak' and just don't know anything about that capability-even if it were available for the current iOS. Can you point me in the right direction for 'non-techie' explanation of how this works and the benefits it provides?

Most reactions

Latest posts