What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Apple & many questions before buying an iPad2, Please help

ladyluck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting an Ipad2 for my Birthday in a few weeks and have many questions since I'm not at all familiar with ipad, iphone or Apple.

1. I use Windows on my desk top (main computer) which has the wireless connection. Is using Windows going to effect my ability to connect with the ipad2's wi-fi? or - can I connect with the system set up I have, since it's not a Mac?

2. What browser is installed with the iPad2? is it IE?

3. Will I be able to access my email from my iPad2? again, my OS is Windows 7 with IE8.

4. Will I be able to access my netflix account with my iPad2 and watch movies?

5. What is required to watch a movie, is there additional hardware needed?

6. I will mainly be using the ipad2 when travelling, to access my email, facebook, play games and watch movies. Maybe download pics...do you think 16G is enough memory? or should I consider 32 or 64?

7. Does the iPad2 charge like a cell phone? or with a power plug?

8. I have a Verizon acct and plan on getting the iPad2 with Verizon so I can get online as I travel and no wi-fi available. Does the Verizon connection require a wireless air-card you pop into the iPad2? or does it access the web like you cell phone?

That's about it. As you can see I am a major newbie, but very excited about the Ipad2. Thank you for any help you can offer. I am totally in the dark and need all the help I can get.

Reaction score
ladyluck said:
Hello,

I am getting an Ipad2 for my Birthday in a few weeks and have many questions since I'm not at all familiar with ipad, iphone or Apple.

1. I use Windows on my desk top (main computer) which has the wireless connection. Is using Windows going to effect my ability to connect with the ipad2's wi-fi? or - can I connect with the system set up I have, since it's not a Mac?

Your PC and iPad can go online wirelessly at the same time.

2. What browser is installed with the iPad2? is it IE?

Safari comes preinstalled. There are various other browsers available from the AppStore, but most will use the Webkit engine.

3. Will I be able to access my email from my iPad2? again, my OS is Windows 7 with IE8.

Yes, either access your emails via webmail through safari, or use the inbuilt Mail app.

4. Will I be able to access my netflix account with my iPad2 and watch movies?

Yes, download Netflix, enter your account details and sit back to watch

5. What is required to watch a movie, is there additional hardware needed?

Just the iPad and a user, preferably you.

6. I will mainly be using the ipad2 when travelling, to access my email, facebook, play games and watch movies. Maybe download pics...do you think 16G is enough memory? or should I consider 32 or 64?

Good question. For storing multiple movies 32gb is the min. though.

7. Does the iPad2 charge like a cell phone? or with a power plug?

It charges via USB through it's own wall charger, though charging through other USB devices, I.e. PC works as well, but is much slower, then when using it's own charger.

8. I have a Verizon acct and plan on getting the iPad2 with Verizon so I can get online as I travel and no wi-fi available. Does the Verizon connection require a wireless air-card you pop into the iPad2? or does it access the web like you cell phone?

It access the web like a cell phone, the 3G card is inbuilt. Though keep in mind, that a Verizon iPad will only work with the Verizon network, whereas an AT&T iPad will work with most 3G providers worldwide.

That's about it. As you can see I am a major newbie, but very excited about the Ipad2. Thank you for any help you can offer. I am totally in the dark and need all the help I can get.

Very messy. Anyone wanna clean up? :D

rdclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. The iPad will connect to your wireless router the same way your PC does.

2. Safari. Others are available, none of which are familiar to you.

3. Yes. Methods will vary depending on your provider.

4. Yes. There is a Netflix app.

5. Nothing else required.

6. Capacity needs are dependent on how much content you want to carry around. You'll need to assess that for yourself. Photos won't make a dent unless you want to carry millions of em.

7. iPad has a docking connector. It charges when you dock to your computer via iTunes with the included, or when you connect the docking cable to the wall charger, included.

8. The 3G circuitry is built into the iPad.

Download and read the iPad 2 manual (google it). Your questions will be answered.

Most reactions

Latest posts