What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member to forum

Cathysue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad 2 and I didn't upgrade from ios 6 to ios 7. I kept waiting for all the kinks to be ironed out and didn't realize that ios 8 would appear so fast (silly me). I have read elsewhere that the Ipad 2 isn't powerful enough to run ios 8. Is there any way for me to just upgrade to IOS 7 or am I out of luck? My ipad runs fine with IOS 6 ( obviously I will won't be able to run any new apps soon though) so I don't want to attempt to upgrade to 8', but would really like to upgrade to 7. Please advise and thank you all in advance for whatever help you can give me.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an ipad 2 and I didn't upgrade from ios 6 to ios 7. I kept waiting for all the kinks to be ironed out and didn't realize that ios 8 would appear so fast (silly me). I have read elsewhere that the Ipad 2 isn't powerful enough to run ios 8. Is there any way for me to just upgrade to IOS 7 or am I out of luck? My ipad runs fine with IOS 6 ( obviously I will won't be able to run any new apps soon though) so I don't want to attempt to upgrade to 8', but would really like to upgrade to 7. Please advise and thank you all in advance for whatever help you can give me.
I'm afraid that upgrading to any version of iOS 7 is no longer possible. Apple stopped signing iOS 7.1.2 several weeks ago. The only iOS upgrade possible for your iPad is the upgrade to iOS 8.0.2.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad 2 is able to run with iOS 8. One of these belongs to me, and it's working without problems.

If you decide to update to the latest version, use iTunes on your computer to do it. Make sure the software (iTunes) is up to date, back up your iPad and let iTunes perform the update. Reset your iPad afterwards (press Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then release both and let your device power up).

OP
C

Cathysue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I will attempt to follow your instructions on how to upgrade, but will have to make room for it since I have too many apps right now.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I will attempt to follow your instructions on how to upgrade, but will have to make room for it since I have too many apps right now.
If you do the update through iTunes on your computer you won't have to free up all the extra space required by the OTA upgrade option.

OP
C

Cathysue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh wow that's good to know. I'll give it a try w/i the next few days.

Thanks again.

OP
C

Cathysue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes, but I've chickened out again on updating from 6.1.3 to 8.02. My ipad 2 only has 16gb's and I keep reading of so many others who have upgraded (even via iTunes) that have mega problems after upgrading. My ipad works fine now and I don't what to attempt to fix what's not broken. Thanks again everyone for your help, suggestions and good wishes.:)

Most reactions

Latest posts