What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member - syncing problems between iPad 2 and PC

Bromsnq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased "Pages" last night and then tried to install it on my iPad2 but it sat there all night "waiting". When I connect the iPad to the PC, iTunes comes up and I go to the summary of the iPad which has an active button to sync it but nothing much happens. When I click on the Apps (or any other) tab, all the options and selections are greyed over and inactive. I can't select the apps I want to be installed on the iPad. I've tried turning it off and changing the USB cable but it's still being painful. Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to make this work?

Note: "Pages" successfully installed on my son's iPod using the same cable but I've not yet tried the iPhone - seems it's just the iPad???

Cheers, Jenny

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there--do you and your son have separate apple Ids? Are you properly logged in? Did you purchase it under your apple Id

Just a little more info would be helpful.

OP
B

Bromsnq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, No - we only have the one Apple ID and yes everything is logged in correctly. I just used it to put "Pages" on my iPhone even and it's active but the iPad won't cooperate? "Pages" was purchased under the Apple ID. Thanks for asking the right questions - I'm not too up on this stuff just yet :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure if I read what you said correctly, of not, please forgive...if you have it already on your iPad, can you try to delete the pages app than try to reinstall?

Also, have you tried to restart your iPad by powering off? Try that and see If that works.

If not, a reset maybe needed. To do this press and hold the power switch and home button at the same time until you get the lock switch to power off.

OP
B

Bromsnq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, have deleted the "waiting" app on the iPad but can't get it to re-install as need wifi (don't have that) or itunes connection and it's the itunes that won't sync so can't re-install. I have powered off - didn't work. I also have done the power and home and then slid the power off bar - no luck there either ???

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you and your son have the same account why not go to your settings on iPad...

Settings...store...automatic downloads...turn on automatic download of apps. When you make a purchase from the AppStore on either your iPad or your son's iPod, that app will be in the cloud and automatically send to your other devices. That may be a way, if you are having trouble with going on to iTunes from your computer.

Yes, you certainly need wifi to download the app again.

Also, what version of iTunes are you running? The current version is 10.6....

OP
B

Bromsnq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Automatic dowload of Apps is already on. "pages" won't download as it's over 50MB and I need wifi or itunes to download. I've never had wifi so don't understand why I need it now - my iPad is 3G so connects to the net via prepaid. Itunes is up to date as well - I know this is getting a bit frustrating, everything you suggest is either done or not working? Any other ideas or does anyone else have any clues? I really need this App ASAP :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need wifi to download apps that are greater than 20MB. So--you need to find yourself a local library or Starbucks to complete your DL.

That is your problem using 3G and downloading the app.

Still not sure why you cannot connect to iTunes on your computer using the USB cord directly connected. I do not know why things are greyed out for you. Are you backing up things thru the iCloud?

OP
B

Bromsnq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Don't use iCloud, but figured I'll probably have to find a free wifi somewhere - can you give me instructions on how to use free wifi to download this app? What do I need to select in settings etc? Thanks so much :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All you have to do is go to a hotspot like McDonald's.

Go to settings/wifi...make sure it is switched on. Your iPad will begin to search available networks. Once you see your site-it may ask for you to type in a password. Usually this isn't the case though with free wifi.

Good luck and let us know .

OP
B

Bromsnq

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - off to find a Macca's or Gloria Jeans :) Will let you know

Well.... Went to Gloria Jeans - bought a cuppa, took over an hour but managed to install "Pages" yay! Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Most reactions

Latest posts