What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPadforum member

jamey43

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I am a new member of this forum, although I've been using my 64K iPad 1 since January of 2011. *I was/am rather angry that Steve Jobs came out with the iPad 2 three months after I bought mine. *It's the second time he has disappointed me. *In 1990, I bought a NeXt computer for $13,000. If you know what a fantastic machine that was at the time, then you know my frustration!

I am a retired physicist with interests in math and music. I recently installed the GarageBand app on my ipad1 and I'm waiting delivery of my iPad camera kit. I'd like to know if anyone knows the answers to the following:
Is there an hdmi adapter that works with the iPad 1?
Will the camera kit let me use Skype for video call with my iPad 1?
Can I use the camera kit to record music from the line out of a receiver?

Thanks in advance

Jamey43

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi welcome to the forums.

Yes, the Apple HDMI adapter for iPad2 also works with iPad1.

and no, sorry, you can't use the CCK for anything other than it's designed use (transferring photos and videos) from a Camera or Camera Memory card to your stock iPad.

You can remove some of the restrictions associated with the CCK by jailbreaking your device. Have a look at our Hacking section for more info. Once jailbroken you can use SD Cards and USB storage devices (provided they are externally powered) as external storage.

Aside from some USB keyboards, you cannot connect other types of USB devices to the CCK as far as I know. The drivers just do not exist in the OS.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Hi! I am a new member of this forum, although I've been using my 64K iPad 1 since January of 2011. *I was/am rather angry that Steve Jobs came out with the iPad 2 three months after I bought mine. *It's the second time he has disappointed me. *In 1990, I bought a NeXt computer for $13,000. If you know what a fantastic machine that was at the time, then you know my frustration!

I am a retired physicist with interests in math and music. I recently installed the GarageBand app on my ipad1 and I'm waiting delivery of my iPad camera kit. I'd like to know if anyone knows the answers to the following:
Is there an hdmi adapter that works with the iPad 1?
Will the camera kit let me use Skype for video call with my iPad 1?
Can I use the camera kit to record music from the line out of a receiver?

Thanks in advance

Jamey43

I feel your frustration with the release of the iPad2 shortly after you purchased your iPad one. Unfortunately, technology is only going to move faster in the near future. Be prepared for many such disappointments. The newest, greatest techno-widget you buy today will be outmoded tomorrow.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
J

jamey43

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Hi welcome to the forums.

Yes, the Apple HDMI adapter for iPad2 also works with iPad1.

and no, sorry, you can't use the CCK for anything other than it's designed use (transferring photos and videos) from a Camera or Camera Memory card to your stock iPad.

You can remove some of the restrictions associated with the CCK by jailbreaking your device. Have a look at our Hacking section for more info. Once jailbroken you can use SD Cards and USB storage devices (provided they are externally powered) as external storage.

Aside from some USB keyboards, you cannot connect other types of USB devices to the CCK as far as I know. The drivers just do not exist in the OS.

Thanks for your comments. But I did find that I could use the CCK USB adapter with an external microphone and record myself playing my piano using the mic input of the GarageBand app! And then play it back through my surround sound system and email the track to my PC, where, along with Mathematica 8, I can really have some fun. With a good mic as input, the iPad is a really neat little recording studio.

Wolfram, the creators of Mathematica, are hinting that they will have a Mathematica app for mobile devices soon. Why Mathematica? For me, music, math and physics all go together. However, to really use the iPad as a mobile recording studio, it needs midi input and output capabilities. Does anyone know of a midi app for the iPad 1?

As for hacking, or jail breaking, I understand that I need a Mac Pro (with at least Intel's iCore 7 processor, that's what's in my PC). I also understand that the iOS is based on the old objective c operating system used on the NeXt computer (what a shame that the NeXt was so far ahead of it's time). Steve Jobs has a long history of crippling the hardware of his visionary computer systems. He refused to include a floppy disc drive on the NeXt since he was sure the technology would become obsolete. So he included the first optical disk as the only read/write storage media. Unfortunately, neither he nor his engineers realized what dust would do inside that fabulous cube. Third parties supplied both magnetic hard drives and floppy disks. I think that the pressure from consumers and competition will finally persuade Steve to unlock the iPad, and then hacking and jail breaking won't be needed. He really can't make the same mistake twice, can he?

So far, this iPad is fantastic! So much technology in such a small, easy to use package!

spzinvest1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need an Ipad 2 which is universally unlocked. I reside in Kenya. Any suggestion from anyone?

spzinvest1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can any one suggest a good store from anywhere where i can get an Ipad 2 which is universally unlocked.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All US iPads are unlocked, but be sure to get the AT&T version if you're purchasing 3G, the Verizon version will not work in your country because it uses CDMA for its 3G connection and that protocol is used in the US and a very few other countries. The AT&T model uses GSM, which is more-or-less universal.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this depends on where you'll be staying in the US. The initial shortage seems to be completely over now and so they're available more-or-less anywhere. Obviously Apple Stores, but most major electrical retailers are carrying them. The warranty is honoured world-wide, so you should have no issues with any problems that you might encounter once you get back home.

I hope you have a great trip.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts